Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Default How do i switch to \"Cards Don\'t Matter Mode\"

"Achille's Heal arguement for me"

Very solid 2/4 and 1/2 player but can't make the money in tournaments for the life of me.

Please tear me up if you see problems in my strategy.

I play it real tight for the first 3 or 4 levels of the tourney, basically the first hour or so and get a feel for players on how tight/loose they are...

Problems arise for me when i switch gears after the first break....
Im struggling with determining what gear i should be in i guess at what times....I read all the previous posts on this subject and its been helpful, but still a little lost. Here are some generalizations i came up with from reading it...

10-15xBB your in push/fold mode preflop
-is this from any position or just if its folded to you in late?

30BB and above
play aggressively as described above
(flush draw push, top pair push or "testing" players)

I guess im playing too long in "cash game" mode...

When you do get in that point where you have to make something happen?? what kind of requirements are we dealing with to get those slight edges???

Do we start pushing as low as low pockets or KQ,AT, etc etc?

I can't get into the "Cards don't matter mode" yet

Example....

Folded to you and you have A6off (or something like that)
You raise trying to steal blinds and one limper from MP.....

Now the flop misses you and you have chips invested in the pot.

Now What??!?!?
I make a decent amount in the cash games but i want to get some of that tourney money

Help!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: How do i switch to \"Cards Don\'t Matter Mode\"

Two suggestions -- first is that it is much harder to steal a pot if there is a limper already involved, i know there are more chips to be gained, but the % chance of success goes way down because that person has actively selected that hand to be of some quality. Limpers often call and then you actually need to make a hand or bluff into a flop that misses you (which isn't all bad).

Second -- I'd suggest stealing with hands different than Ace rag because if someone does pick up a hand and apply pressure you can lose a lot of chips if you are dominated and an ace flops. If you can get away from ace flops with your ace rag, then by all means continue. But i'd much rather make a steal with something like 65s than A6o. Or even 93o (then there is no chance you lose any more chips unless you hit it hard or are entirely aware that you are bluffing). When you win the blinds by raising with 93o, you are stealing, if you win the blinds raising with KJs you are likely bluffing with the best hand in many situations (not bad, but you are limiting the blind steal opportunities you can make significantly).

Hope this helps.

You may think i'm crazy, but after you start winning chips with hands you'd be embarrassed to turn over, it starts to feel really good. Just give it a try.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:04 PM

I think it is important to see who is limping. If it someone who has limped many pots and sometimes folded to aggression green light to steal. If it is someone who has rarely limped, but has before, could be a small pocket pair or sooooted Ace. Steal with caution prepared to have to play post flop. If it is someone who never limps, don't steal it's just not positive ev.

In other words the cards don't matter because you know the player and have an idea what his actions will likely be.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30BB and above
play aggressively as described above
(flush draw push, top pair push or "testing" players)

[/ QUOTE ]

Think twice about massively over betting flops. Usually a 1/2 pot to 3/4 pot sized bet will acomplish the same thing as a push. Switching gears doesn't mean you become a maniac. It means that you maybe play a hand or two more an orbit in a good spot than you normally would.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Just some quick notes.

I think 15xBB is too many chips to always push preflop. You still have room for one 3xBB raise here. The highest profitable amount stated in the study on this is 13xBB. Personally, I push preflop with 8-12xBB.

Remember that when you loosen up your game after the first hour, only loosen up when you are first to bet. Loosening up on calls or raises after someone has limped can be treacherous.

If you get a substantial chip lead, definitely put on your bully cap for a while. But, do not forget to take it off occasionally...put it back on....you know. Switch it up.

As for "chips invested in the pot". Remove this from your thinking. Once the chips are in the pot, they are part of the pot. Not yours anymore. Playing like they are rightfully yours can cloud your judgement on subsequent bets and reading your opponents. If you make a steal attempt, get a caller, and miss the flop, then lead out with a standard continuation bet anyways. Chances are, the flop didn't help your opponent either.

Help at all? Not at all? It's hard to get too specific on what cards to play. MTT's take a lot of practice to learn how to adjust to the different stages. Harrington on Hold'em is THE best source for tournament strategy. Read it if you haven't yet. It helped me change my results from getting in the money occasionally to winning tournaments occasionally.

...I sound like an infomercial...