Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-22-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: In anticipation of the end of mining after Party Beta takes effect

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Of the 10% remaining, it only takes .1% of them with programming knowledge to decide to sniff the IP packets and write a program that mines on a and displays status on a separate system."

if this is actually possible I'm never playing online poker again. It almost certainly isn't..

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible? Yea anything is possible. Doable in our lifetime, yea probably. Worth the effort, not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you're picking nits. It isn't possible now, and if it ever is I quit online poker. I'd lay very long odds no poker player is going to pull this off. if it becomes possible you can expect online poker to completely disappear.

while we're nitpicking "not likely" is understatement of the month.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Of the 10% remaining, it only takes .1% of them with programming knowledge to decide to sniff the IP packets and write a program that mines on a and displays status on a separate system."

if this is actually possible I'm never playing online poker again. It almost certainly isn't..

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible? Yea anything is possible. Doable in our lifetime, yea probably. Worth the effort, not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, it's trivial for anyone with IP traffic knowledge (and there's plenty). There are packet sniffers freely available.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's encrypted already. good luck dude.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, it's trivial for anyone with IP traffic knowledge (and there's plenty). There are packet sniffers freely available.

You simply have a system A watch traffic on the network and datamine. You play on system B on the same network. You know the reason your boss could track EVERY thing you do on the web at work? Because all that info flies over the network. It's not like you have some sort of private line for your data.

God awful trivial. Again, you just need ONE motivated engineer to figure out the packet structure. He then just sells/gives the app to everyone else just like the guy that made PokerTracker did.

Then you get the arms race of Party encrypting packets, rotating keys, etc, and we'll see if the datamining engineers want to try to keep up with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys realize that the network traffic between the poker clients and their servers is encrypted right? It's not as "trivial" as you might think.

There's a reason why your credit card information is safe when you submit it over a secure connection. This stuff isn't easy to crack, even if you have access to the network packets.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the current version of the beta does not save observed hands to the local drive and doesn't give the play by play in the chat box - so, yes it appears to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the CURRENT version of the BETA does not but who's to say the final realease won't? Maybe the programmers released the BETA before they coded in the HH lines. Maybe they left out the HH download capability in the BETA in case there was some bug that f'ed up your hard drive. Has anyone seen a final release of any software that was unchanged from the BETA? Doubtful. So Chicken Little, the sky may not be falling after all - but only time will tell.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the current version of the beta does not save observed hands to the local drive and doesn't give the play by play in the chat box - so, yes it appears to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the CURRENT version of the BETA does not but who's to say the final realease won't? Maybe the programmers released the BETA before they coded in the HH lines. Maybe they left out the HH download capability in the BETA in case there was some bug that f'ed up your hard drive. Has anyone seen a final release of any software that was unchanged from the BETA? Doubtful. So Chicken Little, the sky may not be falling after all - but only time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and because it's a beta I have not spent much time trying to find out why PA Hud doesn't work perfectly with the new beta. They may end up changing things before the final version and I don't have enough time available to go wasting it.

However, because of Party's determination in destroying any services that offer shared hand history data, it's very likely that this feature is intentional and will be the same in the final version.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM

I data mine all tables before I sit down but probably won't miss it too much if it's similar to what AP now has.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You simply have a system A watch traffic on the network and datamine. You play on system B on the same network. You know the reason your boss could track EVERY thing you do on the web at work? Because all that info flies over the network. It's not like you have some sort of private line for your data.

God awful trivial. Again, you just need ONE motivated engineer to figure out the packet structure. He then just sells/gives the app to everyone else just like the guy that made PokerTracker did.

Then you get the arms race of Party encrypting packets, rotating keys, etc, and we'll see if the datamining engineers want to try to keep up with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys realize that the network traffic between the poker clients and their servers is encrypted right? It's not as "trivial" as you might think.

There's a reason why your credit card information is safe when you submit it over a secure connection. This stuff isn't easy to crack, even if you have access to the network packets.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really difficult either, just time consuming. But just as you state, that's not why your credit card is secure. In a routed network you only have access to your own packets anyway. In order to packet sniff the masses for credit cards you have to hack your way into a router on an ISP's network (or something similar) before you can even start trying to decrypt anything. And most ISP's worth doing this to are pretty good at preventing it. Good enough to send hackers looking somewhere easier - like some 2nd or 3rd tier ecom site's customer database for instance.

You have all the access to your OWN packets you could possibly want or need which is what the poster who started this all really meant IMO - not sniffing OTHER people's packets, but the ones that were legitimately sent to you.

In any event, image recognition would be easier anyway, particularly since you can replace the images of the cards with something easy to recognize as someone else already pointed out.

And a second system is hardly necessary. Virtual PC software is readily available.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is their response to an email I sent them regarding the beta:

"Dear Player,

With reference to your mail please be informed that a observer player cannot save hand histories unless and until you take a seat at a table.

Such a feature will not be available in future."
Old 12-23-2005, 02:39 AM

This is rediculous. PT software, and mining, in the hands of good players, confer a rediculous advantage.

For example, in a $600 NL I was playing, a very good player that I will not name, called my CR all in with a QJ high board, on the turn, with 55, because of my VPIP and PFR statistics.

I think its unfair that, essentially, anyone that wants to play high stakes and not get crushed needs to set up 2 computers, screen scraping software, PT datamining, etc. - its just stupid. I say ban it all.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:52 AM

I anticipate trying some other sites.