Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: WSOP has become a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is no longer a tournament about skill but about who can make the worst call and be the luckiest.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it was Barry Greenstein who wrote that, if you get all of your money in 3 times as a 4:1 favorite, you're only even money to still be in the tournament after that series.

Don't judge tournaments by what you see on TV. Nor should you overemphasize the amount of skill involved, or skill's ability to overcome luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not getting what I am saying. Of course over an extended period of time skill wins out. The wsop is just one tournament. Just one. Hence luck is about 90% of it now. Obviously if you play that lady over and over in the long run you will crush her. I am just saying that this ONE tournament has become a joke. And idiots like that big oaf will think they are good at poker because they got far in one single tournament.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are not getting what I am saying. Of course over an extended period of time skill wins out. The wsop is just one tournament. Just one. Hence luck is about 90% of it now. Obviously if you play that lady over and over in the long run you will crush her. I am just saying that this ONE tournament has become a joke. <font color="red">And idiots like that big oaf will think they are good at poker because they got far in one single tournament.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone overrated the amount of skill involved in the old WSOP main events. One could argue that it takes more skill now than it used to, because of the larger fields, aggressive players and sheer unpredictibility of play.
The counter-argument would be that there is less play available now. You have to reduce your moves and hands more to try to get larger edges before gambling.

Dan H and Doyle and others may be the only ones who can comment on this accurately, since they (and others like them) have played in both environments.

<font color="red"> As for your sentiment in the last sentence, I completely agree that people take their results way too seriously.</font>
Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And idiots like that big oaf will think they are good at poker because they got far in one single tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the fundamental idea behind poker's popularity. Anyone really can win - it is why the fish keep coming back.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No i know there is a place for that. I wasn't talking about the Dannenman hand I just happened to use the same hand. I know what you mean. When Tiffany was in deep thought I was thinking "she has got to be kidding me!" At best she had to KNOW she was a 45/55 dog! At best!! When I was on Cardplayer.com back in July I was thinking, "Wow this lady must be an incredible player"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Williamson's plays were a joke. The only explanation is that with such a huge number of donks in the tourney just based on sheer statistical probability one would get through to this point. It is frustrating though to see such an obviously unskilled player get to where most of us only dream to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to keep bashing her but I was reading back in the day that Chris Ferguson was Heads UP ( i know she wasn't heads up but for all intents and purposes she was heads up in the hand ) with TJ Cloutier he kept going all in pretty much every hand to take away TJ Cloutiers skill advantage, thinking on the terms of "Any person can win a single hand so I might as well keep going all in instead of getting outplayed". I was thinking maybe she was doing that, but I honestly don't think she was smart enough to think that way&gt; I honestly think her thinking was that she thought she had the best hand.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After watching yesterdays episode and some of the smaller events won by fish, to me the wsop has become a joke. This is no longer a tournament about skill but about who can make the worst call and be the luckiest.

Some of calls they have been showing are right down sickening. The fact that these players have gone this far in a tournament just goes to show that it no longer is about skill its all about luck. Very depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. This is my strong viewpoint too based on the 20 hands I saw on TV over a period of time in which thousands of hands were dealt. I found it especially easy to judge when I didn't know what the blinds or stack sizes were as well.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Williamson's plays were a joke. The only explanation is that with such a huge number of donks in the tourney just based on sheer statistical probability one would get through to this point. It is frustrating though to see such an obviously unskilled player get to where most of us only dream to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's not like I see tons of bad players make it far in every tournament I play in every single day.

Man, you need to get used to it, deep stacks and long rounds don't completely eliminate the luck factor. The deep stacked tournaments on Stars actually have a structure very similar to the World Series in terms of hands dealt per hour and starting stack size, and beleive it or not, some really bad players do well in those almost every time!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Hey!

Don't go hogging my commissions!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After watching yesterdays episode and some of the smaller events won by fish, to me the wsop has become a joke. This is no longer a tournament about skill but about who can make the worst call and be the luckiest.

Some of calls they have been showing are right down sickening. The fact that these players have gone this far in a tournament just goes to show that it no longer is about skill its all about luck. Very depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a "live poker is rigged" thread?
Sweet!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought she was trying to put her opponent (or maybe the whole table) on tilt with the KJs hand that she took forever to make a decision on. I can't believe any poker player would really put that much thought into that hand.

I really wonder after seeing her call an all-in for all her chips with the A7o, though.

That's not the same as Ferguson moving in on Cloutier to take control of the hand and force a decision.

It's just dumb.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading back in the day that Chris Ferguson was Heads UP ( i know she wasn't heads up but for all intents and purposes she was heads up in the hand ) with TJ Cloutier he kept going all in pretty much every hand to take away TJ Cloutiers skill advantage, thinking on the terms of "Any person can win a single hand so I might as well keep going all in instead of getting outplayed". I was thinking maybe she was doing that, but I honestly don't think she was smart enough to think that way&gt; I honestly think her thinking was that she thought she had the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with your theory is she was CALLING all-ins with garbage hands, NOT PUTTING her opponents all-in. She wasn't being loose and aggressive in moving in to take control of the hand, gain fold equity, etc.

She was passively calling other people's all-in raises with junk.

There's no advantage in doing that.