Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Pushes!

Since when did pushing A2 become a bad idea?

your ace reduces the chance of someone calling with another ace.

I'd push A2 against a loose caller because my ace will almost always be infront and in the bubble there's usually not time for waiting for a better ace or a high pair.

I'd also push A2 against a tight opponent because he's going to fold anyway.

In the bubble you shouldn't worry too much about being called, because the caller will almost always have you beat anyway. It doesn't matter if you push AT or A2 if he calls with JJ
Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM

They're the percentage of hands those ranges are in.

Out of 100% of hands, AQ is in the best 5%. AT is in the best 10%, etc.

And A2 is often a push, but also often a fold, IMHO. Again, depends on stack sizes, position, and likelihood of getting called.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the bubble you shouldn't worry too much about being called, because the caller will almost always have you beat anyway. It doesn't matter if you push AT or A2 if he calls with JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is the wrong attitude. Since an Ace is by far the most common card in your opponents calling range, pushing marginal aces is worse than pushing 98s.

It is possible that opponents that love to call with any ace are rare at some buyin, but at the lower limits you see it all the time. And it certainly matter if you push AT or A2 if he calls with A6.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have just moved up from 20s to 30s and was told apart from the roll there is very little difference between the 2. the last few weeks i have become very aggressive when there is 5 left and blinds are high, i will push 2 cards higher than 10,suited k any ace any pair,obviously i take note of position an stacks etc,this was working very well at 20s, i know this is my first night at 30s but i am 10 buy ins down alot of 4ths and 5ths not many in money, do the pushes change with such a small increase in limit? maybe just a bad downswing but 10 buy ins down in 3 hours is not good, sorry for going on.

ben

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that every level is stronger than the one below it, regardless of what you might hear. The level of difference is generally magnified the higher up you go, however the 33s are definitely somewhat tougher than the 22s.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM

98s?! I mean, A2 isn't a great hand, especially compared to the awesomeness that is AT, but I think it's a very big leak to push 98s over A2, and a leak to push JTs over A2.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:53 PM

obviously relevant to position and stack size, but like top 15% if ur chip leader, 25% if ur middle and like top 30% plus if ur short stacked?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 PM

I'm sure someone with more patience can run simulations of how well 98s and A2 do against different calling ranges.

I think you will find that A2 is not particularly strong when people call you down with A5/A6. Of course one could argue that you shouldn't steal blinds from players like that, I guess.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 PM

Actually, the wider the range your opponents are, the better 98s is, and the worse A2o is. If you're opponents aren't calling A7 or A8, you should be pushing them both anyway, and as ranges get wider, 98s goes up in value quite a bit less than other things.

I actually push a lot more when I'm lower and middle than big stack. Big stack bullying doesn't work, therefore I don't do it much. Blinds mean more when you've got a smaller stack.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:06 PM

when you steal do u move all in as well or just min raise? if u miss flop you check or bet?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Most of the time it's better to have A2, because pepole will be less likely to call because one ace is dead. Against a lot of ranges this difference is very signifigant and makes it better than 98s even though 98s tends to do slightly better against some ranges. I don't even know the hand in question, didnt even read it, but just giving overall view of the concept.