Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 01-13-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: ten dumbest poker players

Playing with Phil this past fall, he said something to the effect that he makes a ton of money off of sponsership deals with oakley and UB. He also said that UB sponsers alot of his tournamnet play.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 AM

I already answered this, if anyone can find the thread please link to it.

~D
Old 01-13-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try adding one more zero, you can't buy an outhouse for 600K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd second that. Lived in Palo Alto from 78-80. Folks sold our house in 1980(built in the early 30's-3bdr/2bth/single model T garage and a postage stamp for a yard) for 250k. I heard through reliable channels that it recently appraised for over 750k.

Real estate in the bay area is outrageous. You've got people spending over 1 mil for their garages in San Fran.

Husker
Old 01-13-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His house in Palo Alto has to be worth $2m at a minimum. That's community property though so I'm not sure it counts. It also could have a decent mortgage, but assuming he purchased prior to the big real estate boom, I'm sure he's way above water on it. It's a nice house in the very best section of a rich town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people around here (and elsewhere in the country) have refinanced many times, pulling out the equity and spending it on some useless crap. So, it's not guaranteed that he has any equity in his house even if he bought it 5-10 years ago. No question that it was a financial windfall for him -- it's just not clear that he still actually has that $$.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Well not many people with a million dollars would be putting it in the bank anyway. Usually they invest sums of that nature among various assets. The standard way of measuring wealth is "net worth". THis can include your assets, salaries, even life insurance policies.

There is no doubt his net worth is in the millions. Most professionals (businesmen, doctors, lawyers etc.) end up with a net worth of over a million.

Helmuth is a celebrity, he is paid endorsements, he sells books, DVD's, etc. I think guessing that he is not doing well is -ev.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people around here (and elsewhere in the country) have refinanced many times, pulling out the equity and spending it on some useless crap. So, it's not guaranteed that he has any equity in his house even if he bought it 5-10 years ago. No question that it was a financial windfall for him -- it's just not clear that he still actually has that $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking California property records online is difficult due to their privacy laws, but they've definitely been doing the refinance thing, as have we all.

Hmmm, maybe not so private. Bought his house in 1996. Assessed valuation of just over $1 million. Given the address, which I'm not about to reveal, but is not as private as the state would assume if you know how to put it together, and the fact that realtor.com lists one 4 blocks away for just under $4 million, let's just say he's not in a shack.