Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 PM

Default pfr cold calling standards.

Which hands are acceptable to call a raise preflop with position, and out of position? I've a couple of Ciaffone's books here, helping me deduce which are the good 4 card combos and which should be in the muck. But past that I'm out of my depth.

I'm talking about raises from your average $25pl player, I think that means there's a pair of aces,kings or queens in the hole or 4 big cards. Is that right?

If that's the case, I'm thinking that the following are good to call with:

AAxx
KKxx
QQxx
JJxx (where xx are useful cards and not rubbish)

AKQJ, AQJT etc where all cards are ten or higher. Is this ok or should I have some flush possibility thrown in?

One more thing, hands like QJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T X where x is near useless, should they be folded to a raise because of the useless X? What about limping in with it?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: pfr cold calling standards.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about raises from your average $25pl player, I think that means there's a pair of aces,kings or queens in the hole or 4 big cards. Is that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

AAxx and KKxx are most likely, with 4 coordinated cards 8 and higher also possible. Not many $25 players raise with QQ or JJ, unless the sidecards are valuable for straights and flushes.

AAxx is a call or a push depending upon stack sizes. KKxx, QQxx, and JJxx are only good to call if the sidecards are excellent, such as Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Big pairs with garbage side cards should usually be folded, especially out of position. If you stay in, you're basically trying to flop top set and take down the pot, which is difficult at low level PLO.

Obviously if you have position on the PFR then your options are much greater. Four cards 10 and higher might be worth a call with position, but doesn't play as well out of position in a multiway pot. On the other hand, four midrange coordinated cards, such as 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] play very well against a raise. Most $25 level players hold onto overpairs far too long.

Three card hands, such as the one you mention, might be worth limping from late position in a multiway pot, but otherwise are chip burners. You must be willing to fold a three card hand on a moderately good flop.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: pfr cold calling standards.

If you assume everytime somebody raises they have AAxx or KKxx there is no reason to call with a weak QQ because your hand only has set value. When I see a raise from somebody that doesn't raise often I'll muck a hand like QQ74, but if it's a hand like QQJ10 either SS or DS I'll definitely play it, same goes for JJ. Four straight cards are always good, the big straight cards go down in value slightly because the chances are at least 2 of the cards you need for a straight are in the raisers hand, but the positive thing about that is if they hit their set you may be able to stack them with a straight.

Another thing is if you know they only raise with AAxx or KKxx and it's only a 2 or 3 way pot, and the board comes low, you can usually steal the pot with nothing. If you are first to act and check to them they will likely try to take it down with a CB and then you just pot a check raise and they will fold pretty quickly. But if the other person in the hand calls and I have nothing I'll just let it go.