Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Default I NEED A MENTOR.

I need help getting to the next level, I may have gone as far as I can by myself. I have read every book on poker, the 2+2 books probably 100 times. I read the post here every single day, (probably the most important). I played B&M for two years part time with some sucess. I Jan. I switched to Internet and have played over 500k hands and have made 6 figures this year. I mostly play 10/20 six max and the short 20/40 and 30/60 games on party. My win rate has not been that impresive (around 1.5 bb/hund. 4 tableing). Most of my success can be attributed to my opp. weak play and my stamina. I play around 2k hands per day, never tilt, or feel the least bit badly about a downswing. I also never beat myself up about mistakes, I am all I got. For a long time I felt like I was getting better everyday but now my game is starting to get stale, like I am playing on auto-pilot.
How does a very experienced, hardworking, dedicated mid-limit player become elite. I played chess before I played poker. There is no shortage of top flight chess books written by players you know are world class. There are no shortage of masters to guide you along. In poker this is not the case. Most of the non-2+2 books are fluff IMO. I got Howard Lederer's DVD after visiting his website and reading his hand analisys. His DVD was made for new players. I would never buy a chess book that told me how the peices moved. Why would I buy a poker book that told me the rules. How many times can I read HPFAP, TOP and SSH. Is this forum the only place where deep poker thinking is going on. How did guys like Phil Ivey and Ted Forrest get so good. I doubt they are math genuises. I spoke to Scotty Nygen (sp) one tourniey, he is not.
I doubt anyone on here plays as much or thinks about poker as much as I do. I am really motivated to be a top player and have almost unlimited time to devote to it. I need help to use my time efficently. If any one who has been there and has a strong math background (Ed Miller) wants to take me under there wing for a piece of my action I would be open or pay an hourly fee to ask specific questions to someone with a strong background in game theory. If I can't find a coach what else can I do. Any advice anyone. I heard Phil Helmmoth is comming out with a new book..
Old 08-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: I NEED A MENTOR.

How you described yourself sounds very solid. Never tilt, never bothered by downswings. Very impressive. Wish I could say the same thing.
If you want to move up, you'll probably have to sacrifice some profit in the short run. I'd start off playing 50/100 or 100/200 but only one table at a time. You won't learn much if you're four-tabling. Review your hands afterwards. You will learn and find many nuances you haven't noticed before. And this will make you a better 30/60 or 20/40 player later also.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the advice. But I don't want to moveup, I do not think I am ready. I want to learn more, there has to be another way besides trail and error. I never met a chess master that was not tought by another master. I want to play the biggest games one day, I am not sure I am on that path. Its not so much about money as it is about the challenge. I wanted to be a chess grandmaster but got tired of being poor. I just need help using my time better, what should I be studying, how do I approach this situation. My goal is to be a world class LHE player I need a stronger analytical base. Sometimes I will think I am the best then Scnides or TSP will post some anayisis and I will be like I suck...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Get a coach, I've e-mailed Barry Tannenbaum regarding this and his advice seems strong. I'm also impressed by Tommy Angelo although I'm not sure if either of these guys play in bigger games than you.

You do seem very solid imo and probably ready to move up.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Moving up will teach you more. The players at the higher limits are better, sometimes much better. It will be like you eyes will be opened to a whole new dimension of the game.
Frankly, you cannot get better unless you play with better opponents. And that means moving up.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Before you get a mentor you should be a mentor.

Would you like to be my mentor?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 PM

I think most big time players grinded there way up or took a leap due to a tourney win. Big time players did have mentors, but the only way to get better atleast online is to play against them, how else would you expect to get much better?

Most top flight pros give away basic secrets but they don't give away all their secrets atleast in their books. Obviously you've had tremendous success this year, and 1.5 BB/100, 4 tabling aint shabby. I say give higher limits a try and then analyze what your doing wrong and what the better players are doing correctly.

Obviously you have the roll to give it a try. I think a lot of the big players on 2+2, gave higher limits a try and have gotten better. I know from reading Bicyclekick's posts, playing higher limits has made the lower limits pretty basic, maybe something similar can work for yourself.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you get a mentor you should be a mentor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can learn a lot by teaching.

1.5BB is pretty solid.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:28 PM

as you know from chess you can't become a grandmaster (or even a master) by just working hard. even with the best coaches in the world. you have to have the right mind for the task.
becoming a winning mid limit player is not that tough, you can learn most of the important skills from a book. to move up you have to take your game to the next level and almost everyone with those skills keep quiet. to move up you have to teach yourself to play well. those who can do this will be the ones to succeed.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:49 PM

Haha, you sound a little like me. I just added another 4 tables and gave up on trying to get better.