Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Opinions on Canon SD200?

I'm a student looking to pick up a very compact camera before I go to Spain for a semester. I'm not a particularly good photographer, so 99% of viewing will be on my computer. I also plan to ask for the camera as a gift, so I can't go for anything above $300 or so.

I was looking at the Sony W1, but that might be overkill for me. How is the Canon SD200?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Opinions on Canon SD200?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a student looking to pick up a very compact camera before I go to Spain for a semester. I'm not a particularly good photographer, so 99% of viewing will be on my computer. I also plan to ask for the camera as a gift, so I can't go for anything above $300 or so.

I was looking at the Sony W1, but that might be overkill for me. How is the Canon SD200?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the canons are solid, as far as I know. The previous two I had were great - except for the really annoying pause (for most of a second) between button pressing and taking of the picture. That's inherent with canon; their major flaw. That just got to me after missing so many action shots (trying to get windsurfers etc in maui) and candid, fleeting moment type shots that are sometimes so good.

Definitely go to dpreview.com and http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Your answer should be within those two review sites.

There are so many options for digital cameras; almost all will do a reasonable job as long as you're not a pro or specifically want something super special, so you can almost just pin the donkey if you really can't decide.

I chose the sony W1 cos I wanted good response time and all the other features were there that I wanted (most have more features than the average joe like me could want). (and it got great reviews).

If you want to get fancy, make sure to get one with manual setting possibilities, but I doubt it from your description.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Decision Made

I have decided to go with Canon Powershot S70 for $414.94 shipped. (Anyone shop here before?)

I now need to get a compact flash card (any suggestions, looking for a 512 MB). I also will probably want an extra set of rechargeable batteries, lens brush, and a carrying bag. Missing anything? Anyone have preferences on above?
Old 11-27-2004, 04:06 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Decision Made

no i haven't shopped there and i wouldn't buy a digital camera from anywhere that isn't HUGE because of the high likelihood of gray market/rebadged other models/unwaranteed asian cameras. 1gb of cf is cheap too. lexar is a good brand for that.