Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: QJs in the CO - questions PF and on the Turn

Thanks for the comments. A lot of heads-up comments. There were two limpers to me, not one.

UTG+1 had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so MHIG. I should have capped the turn. If I had the K, I'd have been more aggressive. I'll have to loosen up the wallet a bit with the 3rd nut flush.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other player doesn't know you have a flush, trust me. (And even if he did, he still has to beat it.)

If this is the one time in a hundred that he has a higher one, them's the breaks, but you're going to win this hand way, way, way more often than your opponent is.

[/ QUOTE ]

good to be beaten with these comments. i think i put myself in my opponent's position and figured I'd be holding Kxs or Axs as often as other flushes..
Old 08-03-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so MHIG. I should have capped the turn. If I had the K, I'd have been more aggressive. I'll have to loosen up the wallet a bit with the 3rd nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...even after reading SSH I'm still playing too tight! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] NH, and good comments from everyone on it.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:43 PM

I tend to play Q high flushes safely on the turn as you did, mainly because I always seem to remember the few times I lost to a K or A high flush, and manage to forget the many more times I didn't extract full value.

If I capped the turn and UTG+1 led on the river again, I would be inclined to just call the river bet. A cap on the turn screams a made flush, which he obviously isn't afraid of. I seem to recall reading that this is the wisest play with a Q high flush. If you had the K or A, then it's a clear re-raise/cap situation.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:34 PM

to cap this turn, I think I'd have to have a read on UTG+1 as a total fartknocker. anyone know if this is weak, or is the cap with this kind of hand straight out of SSHE?
Old 08-03-2004, 04:13 PM

I would have called PF, definitely capped the turn and called the river. As long as a fourth suited card doesn't show you can figure the hand is good. Just calling on the river saves a bet just in case. In these games, I've had players raise with 2 pair on the river with a flush board more times than I can remember. Fantastic if you have the ace, a little concern if you don't but will usually be OK
Old 08-03-2004, 04:40 PM

arent capping the turn and raising the river both contingent on your 2 hole cards being the best flush?
Old 08-03-2004, 04:53 PM

wow cold cash, we seem to disagree a lot today [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (all in the spirit of learning about poker - I definitely respect your opinion)

I would raise the turn for the reasons you state (dont worry about flush-over flush, etc) but when three bet, isn't it check and call time? unless, like I said, I know he's a total fart-knocker. (tell me I'm weak-tight)

I do think this is a raise PF. also, if you cap the turn, you gots to raise the river.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Preflop

Agaisnt typical opponents, this is an easy preflop raise to buy the button.

However, if there was a tough opponent limping before you, I'd lean towards call rather than raise.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:30 PM

Raising pre-flop here is going to make this hand a lot easier to play.

Beside the fact that you most likely have a better hand than than the average holdings of your opponents, you get the added benefit of being able to buy the button, and also having everyone check to you on the flop. This is going to be nice when you flop a draw.

Also I think the average Party microlimit player will raise the turn in this situation with a bunch of hands our hero is ahead of. Sometimes he will have a higher flush, but most of the time he'll be raising 2-pair or a flush draw. Add to that the times that he does have a flush, but a lower one, and I'm capping.

On the river I would be fine with 3-bets going in, so that's why I say raise. I'd start to worry about a bigger flush when I get 3-bet on the river, but not before.