Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Rambling thoughts about the US military

I'm not trying to be combative with you, I'm just trying to understand what your thinking or saying.

I can't tell from your post.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, 10% of the US military is more than enough to sway attackers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not. In fact, it is not even close.

There is a very clear reason why no country in the world can even think about attacking us conventionally right now. By your previous statement, I know for a fact you do not know that one, singular reason. But I'll let you guess if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) They don't want to anger US allies.
2) They don't want a nuclear device detonated in their capital city.

It has nothing to do with the US military being abroad. Face it, conventional warfare is obsolete.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Sponger, you have an amazing simplistic view on the world and geo-politics. I am hoping that you started this thread as more of a learning experience and not to try and prove something. The simpliest explanation for why we have such a large military presence is to protect out interest abroad. All countries have interest, and all countries try to do as much as possible to protect and influence their interests.

If the U.S. did not have such a large military, countries such as China, N. Korea, Iran, India, Pakistan, Syria, and Russia would be far more aggressive at spreading their ideologies(sp) and far more aggresive at asserting their dominance over their neighbors.

Our militart enables us to restrict, or slow down, aggressive nations, while protecting our interests. Our interests enable us to be the worlds leader both economically and militarily. I think all of this information is fairly obvious.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:32 PM

Except for China, I don't think we really care too much about everyone on that list of yours. And China doesn't neceessarily have to be an enemy.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) They don't want to anger US allies.
2) They don't want a nuclear device detonated in their capital city.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, those are good answers but they do not completely eliminate any smidgen of a possibility of an invasion led onto US soil. They act as strong deterrents to an invasion, but do not outright eliminate any possibility of it even happening.

Im not trying to be a dick here, but if you or anyone wants to take a stab at why the US cannot possibly be invaded right now, how it is not even mathematically or even theoretically possible to invade the US under any circumstances whatsoever, please do so.

The sustenance of these two words ties greatly into our massive defense budget. These two words require a great deal more than "far less than 10% of our current military".
Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM

Assuming we reduced the American armed forces by 80%. Maintained only a national guard and a single aircraft carrier group.

Who would invade us?

Why would they do it?

How would they do it?

If you can answer these three questions, the thread can continue.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Face it, conventional warfare is obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conventional warfare is almost an oxymoron, as war is an ever adapting idiom. But if what you are saying is that two armies marching soldiers at each other with machine guns blazing is a thing of the past, then I defy you to explain to me what is happening throughout the entire world right now.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 PM

<font color="red"> Who would invade us?</font>

Given the current state of the world, this is undeterminable. In 1925, if you asked England "who would ever invade you", and the answer was "Im not sure", is that sufficient reasoning to assume no one will ever invade England?

<font color="green"> Why would they do it? </font>

To topple our government, take control of our natural resources, take control of our strategic position, take our land, control our waterways...I could go on, but the answer lies in the overwhelmingly immense history of stronger countries invading weaker countries, even in the absence of any feasibility to success. Why do any stronger nations ever invade weaker nations?

<font color="orange"> How would they do it? </font>

That would give away the answer to my not so secret and relatively widely understood riddle.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Except for China, I don't think we really care too much about everyone on that list of yours. And China doesn't neceessarily have to be an enemy.

[/ QUOTE ]I diasgree completely with your first sentence, but agree with your second.

I think an unchecked Iran, Syria, or Pakistan would be a very troubling thing indeed. I will conceed that China is more likely doing more to restrict N. Korea than us though.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, stuff from 430bc! This should all be relevant today!

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually is relevant because throughout the millenia every Superpower du jour has maintained their status by using their superior military strength to "convince" other nations to see things their way. Why do we do it? Because we can. Our elites enjoy being king of the sandlot, until a new bully shows up to challenge the US that is just how it will be.