Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-08-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: I\'m moving down (LC)

I've never moved down but then I make sure my bankroll is 40xBB before moving up - I think there are two routes to bankroll management - the 'take a shot' school where you have to be prepared to move down or get busted if you overreach or get unlucky (but if things go well you move up much faster and make more money)and the 'tortoise' school that is ultra-cautious about only moving up when they are SURE they are ready.

I'm very much a tortoise (I figure there is no rush) and I get the feeling I'm in the minority from most of the stuff posted here.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 PM

I don't know what your playing habits are but for me the best thing when i run bad is to take some time off. When i run bad i eventually start to play bad and then even when the cards even out i continue to play bad and results continue to suffer.

So i take some time off and when i come back i'm usually able to play my A-game again
Old 12-08-2005, 08:09 PM

no no no there's LOTS of tortoises here, us "risk-takers" are just FAR more vocal.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 PM

I just moved up a few days ago to 200 made a few buy ins and have since lost those and a few more. I am only a few more away from joining you back at 100. Hopefully I'll see you at 200 not at 100 very soon.
Good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 PM

I'm taking a couple weeks off as well. I have a big problem with tilt that I need to work on before I start playing again. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM

Dropping a level after a huge down swing shows good judgment, many who don't have the discipline to do so will blow their whole roll.

There's no shame in this whatsoever, and most have had to do this at one time or another.
The 200 games will be waiting for you when you're ready to move back up.

Do you play Short Handed or Full ring? Variance is through the roof with SH play, compared with a full ring TA style play.

In two years of online play, I've dropped maybe 5-6 buy-ins a couple times playing full ring, but when I play short handed this is almost a routine occurrence.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 PM

This happens to everyone and it's always a very depressing feeling. Go out with your buddies and remind yourself of how trivial poker really is.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM

man dont worry about it, every poker player suffers from at least one swing where they think they cant do ANYTHING right

my bankroll was once at $15000

what is it now? oh, $6000

i tilt, i play bad when i run bad, and it just all goes downhill for me. ive made a little vow to myself to 5-6 table 200 NL grind for the next few months until i get back to at least that $15000

it sucks real hard, knowing that if i had the roll/patience, i could definitely crush the 400 nl game

but right now i just gotta get that roll back

so keep truckin man
Old 12-09-2005, 12:32 AM

The holiday season is great for profits with all the college students having extra time to play during break. Rebuild your roll and get back into the game
Old 12-09-2005, 12:35 AM

i am a college student haha