Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Limit SNG assistance please

Hi,

I've been playing online for about 3 months and can hold my own at low limit ring. Now discovered SNGs and currently have a 50 % success rate getting into the money (second place each time - clue to my query). Generally I think my SNG play is better than my ring BUT my Heads up is appalling, I'm completely lost and I make ridiculous plays as a result. I might have 90% of the chips and I'd still lose. Can someone point me to a good guide for this - remember I'm playing limit.

Also to anyone who multitables SNGs can you offer advice on how you manage them. I'd like to be 4 tabling but I daren't even 2 table yet as I foresee two tables of frenetic short handed action melting my brain (my weak heads up play contributes to this fear). I know staggering table starts should help avoid this but I just need some input to steady my nerves!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Limit SNG assistance please

Congrats! You are the second person today to ask about where he cand find limit strategy posts:

Previous Limit Thread

I don't believe I've seen a limit hand posted in this forum. I think it would be best to post in the limit forums and try to apply their advice to a tournament strategy. As for advice on multitabling, there have been three million posts on the topic if you use the search engine.

Better yet, you should play NL SNGs.

...and read the FAQ.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 AM

thank you
Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Apologies if this was seen as a lazy post. I had a specific query on heads up which meant it differed from the linked post. Sorry for the add on query about multitables but it came to my head while I was posting and I was hoping to converse, plus again most posts seem to be multitabling ring or no limit (I already multi table ring). I thought I worded it all carefully so as not be demanding.
Sure I should start playing limit. In fact I'd love to, just need to take it one step at a time so I still have a bankroll. Anyway hope I haven't offended or transgressed any rules/conventions...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apologies if this was seen as a lazy post. I had a specific query on heads up which meant it differed from the linked post. Sorry for the add on query about multitables but it came to my head while I was posting and I was hoping to converse, plus again most posts seem to be multitabling ring or no limit (I already multi table ring). I thought I worded it all carefully so as not be demanding.
Sure I should start playing limit. In fact I'd love to, just need to take it one step at a time so I still have a bankroll. Anyway hope I haven't offended or transgressed any rules/conventions...

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem... it's hard to jump in without some pointers. Feel free to post limit tournament hands. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could offer good advice.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 PM

try playing no limit sngs it's not that hard of a game to pick up and heads up is easy when you just shove it all in there or fold everytime.

P.S. It's also a lot more fun and profitable
Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 PM

More profitable? I'd like to see how you came to that conclusion. You are a better NL player than a limit player perhaps?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:31 PM

It's not as much me being good as a few things.

1. More bad players. yes one could debate this, but the average donk who watches wpt or wsop is going to want to play nl more likely than no limit. This is just an opinion and I have no way of proving this.

2. A lot of profitability in sngs comes from good pushing with high blinds. When blinds rise so quickly relative to your stack, the limit sng does not allow for optimal stealing in the late game and the cards dealt to you affect your winrate more than they would in a nl sng tourney.

3. I hate it when i accidently sign up for limit sngs and I'm bitter about the fact that someone actually likes to play these.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Hehe. I like number 3 the most. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM

Would it help with your bitterness if I told you trying to two table is making me loathe them?

Thanks for the input.