Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Default AKs - simple river (eh, and all streets) question

Villain is pretty bad - 57/12 but is not particularly crazy. He loves draws, Ive lost a few pots to him as hes catching them regularly.

All comments appreciated... sorry if its too basic, but mainly I would like to know if you all would call this river. If not, then I may have exposed a leak [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Edit: Would you pot this flop despite it being rainbow? I took the free card on the turn because I wasnt happy with what came up.

The game is Crypto, 200NL 6-max

Villains stack: $150 (MP)
My stack: $209 (MP+1)

UTG limps, Villain limps, I make it $9 with AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, as does villain.

Flop: ($30) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checks to me, I bet $18, only villain calls.

Turn: ($66) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check behind.

River is a rag. Villain bets $30. Me??

Thanks, and seasonal greetings!!

Ojo_Rojo
Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: AKs - simple river (eh, and all streets) question

Given your read of him, you have to pot size this flop to start defining things better. If he has KQ, for example, he might lay that down given your preflop raise if he has an sense at all (of course, if he has any sense at all he doesn't call that raise preflop but given how loose he is, that's not out of the question - and maybe the KQ was suited).

As it is, you have only presented to him what looks like a continuation bet. If he has KQ a call is not out of the question. If he has a draw that is not out of the question either (JTs makes a lot of sense to me here).

Checking behind on the turn I actually understand, but it invites the exact bet you received on the river regardless of what he actually held.

So, it comes down to getting 2:1 on a call and having to figure out whether you are ahead at least 33% of the time here. Close decision. Looking forward to other comments.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM

I'd bet pot on that flop every time.

Why were you unhappy with that turn card? You've got TPTK, a nut flush draw, and position. I'm firing again there, something like 3/4 pot, maybe more depending on villain.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:56 AM

I like your play preflop and on the flop. His flop play labels him as a caller, therefore probably has something but may not be strong. KQ, or JT perhaps.
With a possible straight on the turn, you may just bet the same amount as on the flop, to see if he raises. I often play it as you did as well.
Would he call preflop with JT? Maybe. I'd call on the river , but in hindsight, would prefer to have raised on the turn to see where I am at. If he reraises I'm gone. IMO
Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 AM

3/4 pot the flop, 3/4 or pot the river
Old 12-02-2005, 12:04 PM

I felt that the turn helped my opponent more than it did me - the str8 draw got there, or a likely kicker got paired, so I opted to take the free card. I guess I didnt want to be raised off the hand here on the turn. Am I weak?

Ojo_Rojo
Old 12-02-2005, 12:07 PM

I would make my "normal" bet on the flop no matter what it was. In full ring the 57/12 is the guy who will call you down with a junky 2nd or third pair. Nothing better than the money bag symbol. Of course even bad players hit their hands every once in a while.

I make it 27 on the flop, then I do not mind the check behind on the turn, there are draws out there that he may bluff on the river, but you know he is probably gonna bet the river here with anything, so you have to call and decent sized bet IMO.

I think you are ahead here a lot...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Results

Thanks for all comments, I guess its certainly unaminous (sp?) that I didnt bet enough on the flop.

I called on the river. Villain had JTo for the turned str8, and my hand's garbage.

My time is gonna come.. one day. Cant wait 'til 2006.