Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Default $109s - QQ Hand

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Button (t720)
SB (t970)
BB (t1380)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t950)
UTG+2 (t990)
MP1 (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
MP3 (t1000)
CO (t990)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t45</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t45, Hero calls t45, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls t30.

Flop: (t205) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t95</font>, Hero calls t95, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t250</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero ???
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: $109s - QQ Hand

Not worth it too call or raise, very probable he has a nine or set of threes. I would fold. Too early in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:24 PM

It looks like a checkraise to milk you and the initial bettor. Tens or jacks would at least bet the pot fearing an overcard on the turn. I would probably would have reraised to 175 before the flop but seeing his action on the flop I think its a fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 PM

What kinds of hand ranges are you putting your opponents on here?

I have a hard time on putting someone on trips or a flopped a boat. It would be very surprising if someone is raising or calling 3bb raise w/ A9, K9, Q9s, etc. The bet by MP1 is &lt; 1/2 pot so it seems someone is taking a stab at this pot. I don't like your flat call, raising obviously gives you position and very likely take down the pot. UTG would have raised w/ AA or KK or at least had an oppurtunity to re-raise w/ such hands and MP1 has a chance to raise PF. With this deduction I think the only hand you are behind is 33 here.

poke holes at my logic or lack thereof.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Firstly, I reraise preflop, but I'd like to take some time to think about just calling. It may have its advantages.

On the flop, the raise by UTG after limp-calling preflop looks so much like 55-88, TT. I would play in a way that extracts the most from this type of hand. That depends a lot on the opponent

A reraise right now will scare a good opponent off of his underpair, but many overcards could hit the turn and scare him off anyway.

On second thought, since you have position, and may not get much more out of his underpair, you may just want to call and try to win a small pot. If an overcard comes and he still is playing very strongly, that kills my theory about his underpair, and you may be able to get away from the hand against trips or a boat.

I rambled. I'll respond again later.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Default I\'m Stupid

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, I reraise preflop, but I'd like to take some time to think about just calling. It may have its advantages.

On the flop, the raise by UTG after limp-calling preflop looks so much like 55-88, TT. I would play in a way that extracts the most from this type of hand. That depends a lot on the opponent

A reraise right now will scare a good opponent off of his underpair, but many overcards could hit the turn and scare him off anyway.

On second thought, since you have position, and may not get much more out of his underpair, you may just want to call and try to win a small pot. If an overcard comes and he still is playing very strongly, that kills my theory about his underpair, and you may be able to get away from the hand against trips or a boat.

I rambled. I'll respond again later.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST.

I changed my mind, mostly because I realized that UTG checkraised (it appears from my post that I noticed that, but I didn't) rather than just raised. He would be much less inclined to flat call the flop bet here with a big hand because he can't act after the two of you on the turn, where you might check behind.

This now looks like he has trips or a boat, and I think I'd fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:33 PM

I really don't like the call preflop. The raise to 45 could mean anything, so I'd make it 100 and see what happens. You can easily lay down QQ if someone comes over the top of your reraise. Maybe you were trying to keep the pot small, but that isn't going to happen either way, so just pump it.

On the flop, I'd raise that weak flop bet just to see if anyone has a 9.

Normally, I don't mind the idea of letting someone else bet the hand for me, but the 95 bet is garbage and the pot is really big already.

Whatever, you called. The checkraise to 250 against 2 players is pretty damn scary. I'd probably lay it down and hope he doesn't show TT.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 PM

Wow, someone who plays QQ pf weaker than me.

I'de probably fold on the flop knowing that I'm laying down the best hand sometimes. I haven't run any numbers, but you aren't too far invested and I bet that you don't stack up too well against his range. Many players are weak passive and wouldn't raise there with something like 77.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:54 PM

I think I'd min raise the flop because then you know almost for sure whether you are beaten if someone suddenly check raises you, as opposed to guessing. If the original bettor to 95 raises you, then I'd probably be willing to put all my chips in.

Basically min raising shuts out everyone the large majority of the time unless they have QQ beat, except for the 95 chip bettor.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:15 PM

There are advantages and disadvantages of not reraising QQ this hands shows one of the disadvantages. It is unfortunate that you hit a weird flop, and you have to fold because you are probably beat, but if you folded the flop, not a poorly played hand.