Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:00 AM

Default I want your opinion on TT against AA & AA in same hand

I am perplexed about a tournament I just played. It was a small one table private NL Texas Holdem tournament. $50,000 in chips on the table 6 players left. I was 3rd in chips at $8750. The blinds were $500 and $1,000. The First player to act and the chip leader with $15K, raises to $2K. I had TT. I re-raise to $4K. The next guy goes all in with $4750 and the original better thinks for awhile and then goes all in. The pot has $25K in it and I would have to call the rest of my chips, $4750 . I put the first raiser on a big pair and the other guy on a big pair as well. I knew I was getting 5:1 on my money but felt like I was a big dog to call. So I laid down. They both turned AA, yes they both had the same hand. Flop came JT2 then nothing nothing and I would have won the $30K and probably have won the tournament. Instead I busted out on the next hand on a bit of a steam and went home thinking about this all night. Some players at the table said I made the right move, others said I didn't. What do you think?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: I want your opinion on TT against AA & AA in same hand

If you re-raise this hand, or probably if you play this hand at all, you should be putting all your chips in preflop. It's never a good strategy to raise half your stack then fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 AM

Your first raise was bad because it pot-committed you without putting maximum pressure on other players. Just move in.

Also, this is the wrong forum.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 PM

I agree, I figured that out soon after the hand was over. I should have gone all in that way I was commited to seeing the flop etc and would just let fate take control. Of course being up against two pairs of Aces I was a big dog, so didn't make the right lay down att he time I was actually beat (pre flop)
Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I figured that out soon after the hand was over. I should have gone all in that way I was commited to seeing the flop etc and would just let fate take control. Of course being up against two pairs of Aces I was a big dog, so didn't make the right lay down att he time I was actually beat (pre flop)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not as big of a dog against AA AA ... you rather see this than AA KK or AK QJ...

Pot committ yourself and get lucky.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM

Out of 1,370,754 possible boards, 297,706 win for you and 4,340 tie. That's slightly better than a 21% chance of winning. It's much better than being against one AA because (a) they can't get trips and (b) you win twice as much if you win. However, you'd rather have suited connectors, like 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for example.

I see MCS's point, but I'm not so sure. At this point in the tournament, TT is a hand you're willing to lose with. So going all in is your first thought. Betting $4,000 instead will probably have the same result, others are likely to either fold or force you all in themselves.

There are two cases where it makes a difference. $4,000 might induce some marginal hands to call instead of fold, which helps you since you will probably beat them. Where it hurts you is in a multiway pot where you could be letting people have pot odds on drawing hands. But at that stage in the tournament, it's hard to see getting a big multiway pot without at least someone deciding to raise, and that lets you reraise all-in. Worst case, if two or three players call you, you go all-in on any flop and have a decent shot of winning enough to win the tournament.

My disagreement with your play is once someone else raises, you have to call. As MCS says, you're pot committed. Unless you're up against something like TT and AA, which is extremely unlikely, you're more likely to win the tournament drawing out against two higher pairs than with $4,750. Against AA and KK you have about 1 chance 6, which was about your chance before this hand was dealt. That's not so bad, and there's a good chance at least one of the other players has something worse than you.

If it's your lucky day, the opener had something like A9 and the all-in guy is running a bluff or semi-bluff or is just loose; the opener has seen you make only a moderate raise and may figure he can push you out of the pot (as he did) and doesn't mind taking on the raiser. You might be a 60% favorite in this hand. You can fold that in this situation.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Thanks so much for your response to my post. The thing is I did put them on higher pairs. So If you had put them on higher pairs like I did, then is it still a call after they both went all in?