Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Here\'s a good example

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you think they just have excellent hand reading ability and can put themselves in good positions with marginal hands against people with even worse hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner. The problem is, sometimes it's hard to tell who's flat out awful and who is very good (but unconventional). "Tight as Balls" players don't seem to make up a majority of the game's big winners.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I don't think playing really tight will make you a big winner in this game. I think you have to be very creative to be a big winner. I'm sure you'll still be a winner being tight, but probably not so much as some others. The thing that I have really found playing against these guys is that decpetive starting hands go WAAAY up in value. Starting with even a mediocre high hand that appears to be a low hand seems to be very profitable for these guys.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Here\'s a good example

In this case, villain's 2nd position raise with (KT)A has a lot of advantages, even if the books say it is not a playable hand. It is similar to raising from early position with a suited connector in holdem (limit, PL, or NL).

Notice that villain is raising with a marginal hand, not calling or limping with one. This is a typical technique of good players in a strong game.

You have a good chance to steal the antes. If that doesn't work, you can represent split aces or a razz hand if the board is right. If you do hit your hand, your opponent is not likely to read it correctly. There is a lot of deception involved in this play.