Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Extraterrestrial Intent

A question came up at work while discussing how good many of the kids movies are now, with many jokes and quips for adults. If you haven't seen it, Madagascar has a good line in it where the lemurs are panicking at the danger of the fossa. One lemur holds up a book titled 'To Serve Lemurs' and screams "It's a cookbook. It's a cookbook", in honor of the great Twilight Zone episode based on the book 'To Serve Humans'. Besides the fact that no one I talked to at work (mostly IT people who know almost everything about today's movies and gadgets) had any idea of the reference, the discussion that followed involved what the potential intent of extraterrestrials would be.

So, if ET came to visit us on Earth (if they haven't already), would he have us for dinner, treat us as pets or treat us as somewhat comparable intelligent beings (or something else)?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Extraterrestrial Intent

[ QUOTE ]
(if they haven't already),

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
treat us as somewhat comparable intelligent beings

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahah, we're bright apes, with barely enough intelligence to tell the difference at the lower end of our range. Given the range of intelligence that is possible, it'd be pretty unlikely the ET would be at the bottom range necessary also. We may not qualify as pets, be like having a pet rock.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:53 PM

I would think that most reasons ET would have for visiting earth would not be good (for earthlings).

I would guess that dropping to by just to say hello, would be among the least likely reasons for an ET visit to earth.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM

If we suppose their politcal structure is anything like ours, the ETs would be from the most powerful nation on their planet.

Now, think of the US and its relation with inferior nations.

Exploit, exploit, exploit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 AM

I think they would gang probe Al Gore.

Stu
Old 12-13-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
treat us as somewhat comparable intelligent beings

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahah, we're bright apes, with barely enough intelligence to tell the difference at the lower end of our range. Given the range of intelligence that is possible, it'd be pretty unlikely the ET would be at the bottom range necessary also. We may not qualify as pets, be like having a pet rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think they'd be just as dumb as us.... maybe just a little less dumb. We're talking about traveling (min) hundreds of light years to see us!!! us!!!! and. BTW the fact that ET has lasted this long, to me at least, indicates that he's probably not as birght... I think there comes a point where intelligence of a group becomes negatively correlated with survival rates (I may or may not be serious).

And as far as exploiting, I think the main resource this planet would have that ET might want, that it couldn't get closer to its orgin, is the planet itself, gravity, atmostphere, ocean, medium sun near by.... think we'd be looking for a new place to live.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 AM

IMO the most likely scenario is that the ET's would send machines ahead with instructions to exterminate any inconvenient pre-existing life forms and prepare the planet for their arrival.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the most likely scenario is that the ET's would send machines ahead with instructions to exterminate any inconvenient pre-existing life forms and prepare the planet for their arrival.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would make a good movie! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would make a good movie! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It's been done more than once. How about a new interpretation, this time with self-replicating nanobots instead of behemoths? That's probably been done too. Oh, well.