Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-24-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Scientology VS Christianity currently tied

This very interesting discussion died out in the previous thread without conclusion.

I said there was no evidence for Christianity
Bluffthis said there was no evidence for Scientology

Bluffthis this cited a book: "The Bible" as evidence for Christianity

For Scientology, another book: "Dianetics" was presented as evidence of the real spirutual history of Humanity.

Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion, or are we to conclude that both religions are equally credible?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Scientology VS Christianity currently tied

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion, or are we to conclude that both religions are equally credible?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and no.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:37 PM

One can’t stop at the books. One must go further.

What do we know of the authors of each book?

RJT
Old 11-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Of course they are equally credible. Unless your criteria are "how many believers you have", or "how long does this religion exist", which obviously are very very poor. I would say however that scientology is slightly more credible, since most christians don't simply "choose" to be christianns as grown ups, they are born into it, while with scientology people usally get into it as grown up and are not born into it. This should give scientology extra credit.

This doesn't mean that the historical incidents related to christianity are as equally credible as those "related" to scientology. But "believing" that some person named X actually lived at a certain place at a certain time, and said such and such things, has very little to do with the "existence" of the god of christianity (or judaism, for that matter).

By the way, god DOES exist, i know it for a fact as i just met him today for lunch. he also says that scientology is slightly more credible than christianity, only for different reasons than the ones i mentioned. He doesn't care to elaborate, unfortunately.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, god DOES exist, i know it for a fact as i just met him today for lunch. he also says that scientology is slightly more credible than christianity, only for different reasons than the ones i mentioned. He doesn't care to elaborate, unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know The Man's too polite to invite somebody to someone else's home, but any friend of his is a friend of mine, so feel free to hitch a ride with him this afternoon; I've got a wide screen HDTV and the best munchies this side of Eden.

Scott
Old 11-24-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know The Man's too polite to invite somebody to someone else's home, but any friend of his is a friend of mine, so feel free to hitch a ride with him this afternoon; I've got a wide screen HDTV and the best munchies this side of Eden.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, another acquintance of god in the house. Well i won't be able to make it myself, but thanks anyway. (don't tell him that, but i'm just a bit tired with him, always the same 4 stories, always this talk about 'i should have done that instead of that, why did i told her that, i should have told her the other thing, blah blah'. well you know the guy, very indecisive. but i like him alot, still. fun dude.)
Old 11-24-2005, 02:48 PM

They're both cults. Next question.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice, another acquintance of god in the house. Well i won't be able to make it myself, but thanks anyway. (don't tell him that, but i'm just a bit tired with him, always the same 4 stories, always this talk about 'i should have done that instead of that, why did i told her that, i should have told her the other thing, blah blah'. well you know the guy, very indecisive. but i like him alot, still. fun dude.)

[/ QUOTE ]

He usually stops by for my weekly H.O.R.S.E. game as well and you wouldn't believe what a fish he is. I don't think he's ever bought in less than 5-6 times.

Scott
Old 11-24-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One can’t stop at the books. One must go further.

What do we know of the authors of each book?

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

where do we get the info on the authors from? Should we use objective, independent sources or the autobiographies?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:50 AM

"Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion, or are we to conclude that both religions are equally credible?"

Hello, I have something to add. Christianity is the religion that formed the basis for preservation and expansion of Western culture and civilization.

Scientology is the basis for bad John Travolta movies.

Christianity wins.