Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 10-03-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Busting your friends?

At the MGM this weekend and I just sat down with a friend of mine who is an extremely good player.

We don't cheat, we don't collude, but we do try to stay out of eachothers way. It's bad for the game if we play strong against eachother + there were more than enough donks @ the table to take money from.

Under the gun I post to enter the game (bad strategy but I wanted to make it look like I had no idea how to play). 2-5 blind $500 no limit game @ the MGM (great room BTW... check it out).

I pick up AA under the gun in my post (amazing) and advertise the fact that I'm trying to get my post back, raise to $30.

One caller, my buddy in the BB makes it $100.00 I know my friend will do this with exactly three hands AA, KK, or QQ. I call hoping to get the other caller to come in and play. Other caller folds... and I "waive off my buddy with my eyes"

He checks to me on the flop... I bet $150 and he thinks about it for a long time.

He fold his hand... tells me later he had KK and that I should have busted him for all his money.

What are your thoughts...

keep in mind we don't really have a standing agreement, but we do try to stay out of eachother's way with drawing/speculative hands.

Should I have just busted him in this situation?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Busting your friends?

[ QUOTE ]
It's bad for the game if we play strong against eachother

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't wait to see the reason for this load of crap.

[ QUOTE ]
I call hoping to get the other caller to come in and play. Other caller folds... and I "waive off my buddy with my eyes"

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He fold his hand... tells me later he had KK and that I should have busted him for all his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have much more respect for your buddy than you.

Anyone ever tell you this isn't a 'team' game?

How about if a whole table was playing against you and your buddy? Would that be ok?

b
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 PM

is there something wrong with his money? does it not spend as easily as other money? I would bust family, friends, dead relatives, girlfriends whoever. If i'm playing poker i'm playing to win
Old 10-03-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't cheat, we don't collude

[/ QUOTE ]

By doing this you are colluding and cheating because you're influencing how the game will play out in the future.

1) Now you have a lot less chips in front of you than you would have had you busted him.
2) He would much more likely to go on tilt after his KK was cracked.
3) He appears to be a player who can make huge laydowns or make huge bluffs.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:04 PM

You guys are friends, and both poker players. You've never taken each others' money before?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there something wrong with his money? does it not spend as easily as other money? I would bust family, friends, dead relatives, girlfriends whoever. If i'm playing poker i'm playing to win

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is... when we play in Vegas it is more of a social event. Drink bear, watch NE loose to San Diego, et. al.

If we play heads up we make a lot of move against eachother and it looks odd to the table... usually gives the other players a bad vibe and scares off the Donkeys.

He didn't fold his KK face up... he just cursed his bad luck with AK and we moved on.

P.S. I'm so sick of the "i'd bust my grandmother line"

If you really would bust your grandmother in a game of poker either A) she better be super wealthly and/or B) your parents did a great job raising you.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are friends, and both poker players. You've never taken each others' money before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good friends... we've taken thousands off eachother in mixed games and/or heads up matches...

We usually stay out of eachothers way when we are at a table of donks.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:16 PM

people play for different reasons i guess. You play to watch football and get free drinks. I play to make money
Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
If we play heads up we make a lot of move against eachother and it looks odd to the table... usually gives the other players a bad vibe and scares off the Donkeys

[/ QUOTE ]

I've rarely seen this to be the case in reality. But I guess it sounds good when you say it.

b
Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If we play heads up we make a lot of move against eachother and it looks odd to the table... usually gives the other players a bad vibe and scares off the Donkeys

[/ QUOTE ]

I've rarely seen this to be the case in reality. But I guess it sounds good when you say it.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem becomes this... we know eachothers play so well... we would end up calling eachother down on the river with middle pair, A high, ect... and other players feel we are cheating and/or much better player than we actually are.