Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Strategy question on getting deep

The last three nights in a row, I've busted out of the Stars $3 and $5 rebuy guaranteed tourneys about mid-way through the third hour. The scenario was very similar in all situations.

For example tonight:
Avg stack 19,000. My stack 16,000. Read on me is TAG.
Villain (25,000)is LAGish, always putting in an open raise with any two. I'm BB with 99.
Action is fold to villain who puts in automatic 3x raise. Folds to me, I re-raise him all in. He calls and turns over a KJ off and rivers something like a str8 or whatever.

Now my purpose is not to moan about a lost race, but the question is, am I being too aggressive here? Should I wait for a better position and if so what is it? With an average stack size, is it best to just steal the blinds with the standard open raise from LP and then wait for a monster? I've been watching several of the "good" players make moves like my 99 all in, but it never seems to work out for me?

Any thoughts?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Strategy question on getting deep

your edge on small pairs is greater (against two overcards) if you see three cards and make him fold on a missed flop or call your bet with overs, than if you see all five cards. Which is why you'd want to be all-in preflop with a hand like AK against a small pair.

So in spots like that I'd like to call and then bet any flop. Or reraise (not all in) and then bet any flop.
Of course you are really dependent on a stack size (if you don't have enough play left with the blinds size) or if you think your opponent has something like A7 when you have TT, in a situation like that you want to be all in preflop.

So is it a bad play- No and you probably do need to win some coinflips in order to win a tournament. But there are other options that are better.

.joseph.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:31 AM

It's a fine play. Your 99 is almost certainly the best hand. Push your advantages.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:31 AM

Thanks Joseph.
I like the other options, like reraising but not all in and then betting the flop. A weakness I have tho, is say the flop is Qxx - I bet, he calls. Turn is a T. What's my move? check/fold or fire again? With any two overs, he's got at least a pair or a str8 draw.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:03 AM

You give stack sizes, but not blind sizes.

Very important info, or else I don't know how I would play the hand.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2005, 11:13 AM

you were either born with size or not. there's not much to it other than that. some women don't want it that deep anyway and are more into girth. i guess it depends on your audience/competition
Old 12-23-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You give stack sizes, but not blind sizes.

Very important info, or else I don't know how I would play the hand.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

big blind during 3rd hour:
1st 15 mins: 300/600/50
2nd: 400/800/50
3rd: 600/1200/75
4th: 800/1600/75
Old 12-23-2005, 01:19 PM

believe it or not 99 is ahead of the range of 'any two'
It's a reraise regardless, either allin or not depending on the size of the blinds.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:43 PM

Just reading your post.. did you have to push it in? What were the blinds. If you've got enough BB in front of you maybe you can call and see if you get a flop that looks good to you.. or maybe represent a strpnger hand by reraising the minimum. If the blinds are 500-1000 or higher there isn't much else you can do here but push it in or maybe if you were first to act on the flop try to stop and go.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:56 PM

Not sure of blind sizes (around 300/600 or so here???) and if that's the case I like the popular "call and play some poker" line. If the flop misses his overs, you can take the pot. If the flop is really scary with 2-3 overs on your 99 you can get away easily.

I don't think a push is necessarily a bad play, but I kind of prefer calling and playing the flop better.

Edit: I also think a reraise would be a fine play as well depending on the blinds.