Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-26-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Sick Of It (Vent/Asking For Help)

Alright, so i posted before about hitting my poker "wall." And since then i picked up poker tracker, pokerace, and ToP. Yet i still can't get anywhere. I know i have improved my tendency to tilt when donks suckout on me. Even after some pretty incredible suckouts, im still able to play a pretty solid game (At least i think so). I play primarily 25NL 6max games on party. As of now my Vpip stands right around 29.5 over about 7000 hands. Over those 7000 hands im down about 200 dollars, which is a lot when my starting bankroll was only 500.

The trend that im beginning to see is that i will play pretty solid for a while, doubling up what i initially bought into at four 25nl tables. I consider myself a pretty tight player. So im rarely showing down to the river with absolute rags. Sometime into my session, usually 2-3 hours, there will be some donk at the table who obtains a stacksize similar or over mine through horrible play being rewarded. Knowing full well that he/she is a goldmine, i'll find myself in a heads up situation with a hand that i know beats theirs. Once in a while, my hand will stand and i take down a significant sized pot. But more often i am finding that their luck hasn't quite run out yet. This one hand will often cancel out 3-4 hours worth of solid poker playing profits. And I know ive improved at not tilting so much, but after wasting 3-4 hours grinding it out only to have some donk rob you of all the fruits of your labor, it becomes difficult to remain focused.

I once heard someone in the forums say that if you are taking bad beats, you are sitting at a profitable table. Which i agree with completely. However, 9 times out of 10 these donks that suckout on me will say something like "thanks for the chips sucker" then promptly leave the table. Of course at this point im fuming mad, but i do my best not to let it interfere with my game. I usually have a smoke then come back and sit even stacked for a few more hours then just stop, down or dead even for the day.

**Question** Heres one question i would like some answers from. In one session of multitabling how often does the average 2+2er experience an awfull suckout costing them a significant amount of their stack? The reason i ask this is i want to have some point of reference to see if maybe im just having a bad run right now, or if maybe i am doing something wrong. **Question**

All that being said, i know my game is far from flawless. I am pretty sure that if i were a better player, that a lot of the edges would be smoothed out and i would at the least be even right now. What i would really appreciate is if one of the more experienced players on the board could help me go over my PT stats and maybe just give me a few pointers to give me a little constructive criticism towards helping my overall game.

CLIFF NOTES: kamjah is having a bad run with lots of bad beats, and can barely seem to break even. He knows full well that bad beats happen to everyone, but his bad beats seem to cancel out any kind of profit he makes. He knows his game is full of holes and would like the assistance of a more experienced 2+2er to go over some PT stats and give him some pointers.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Sick Of It (Vent/Asking For Help)

I think you should start playing 1 table, 2 max.

If you want me to look at 100 hands or so, PM me.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:18 PM

VPIP of 29 is on the loose side.. what's your w$@sd%?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
VPIP of 29 is on the loose side.. what's your w$@sd%?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry im still pretty new to pokertracker, what is w$@sd%?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:13 AM

Won at showdown %
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 AM

I think multi-tabling NL is ridiculous. Your'e going to lose a lot of information on your players and probably lose all your bluffing moves completely. No way you can notice all the players betting patterns and tendencies. Your'e underrolled as it is and playing all these tables will burn your money away. You need to play both the players as well as the cards. I would suggest reading HOH1 and HOH2 if you havent already they have helped my game out a lot.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 AM

I'll second what the man above said. Four tabling I have only a couple reads, and even when typing them I'm stuck for time with the timer counting down on other tables. This is 6-max I'm talking about. Three tabling I find a good balance of hands/hr and player reads.

I think you'll improve quicker too, paying more attention. I know I run on autopilot playing 4 tables.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:37 AM

So do you guys not multi table NL at all or just not the 6 max games.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:52 AM

As above. I've found reads to be so much more important at limit than nl, and you have to find out quick who's a rampant semibluffer, continuation better etc or you'll find yourself doing the wrong thing at the wrong time against the wrong person.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:57 AM

I've found multitabling to be too hard on the senses at NL. I know part of that is my small monitor size forcing me to overlap windows and thus only watch the action on one table at a time. Even when 2-tabling (my number of choice) I still find, if one table has been hot for a few minutes, when I pick up a hand at the other table, those few minutes have cost some of my feel for other players. There are certainly players who manage multitabling NL (half the posters here it would appear), but being in similar circumstances to yourself for a long time, I found whenever I am experiencing a series of bad beats or a long downrun, I just return to a game I know I can beat, full-ring, and one table, then return to 6-max, then add more tables. It keeps my attention on the game and forces me to reevaluate my play.

The other thought I had when reading your post was not banking your profits. I realize these fish present a really good oppurtunity for money, but nothing makes me more nervous than playing deepstacked with a really loose, erratic player. Sometimes I scored really really well and have a great night, but there are times, just like you are describing, when suddenly all my work vanished. If you have the BR to suffer the variance, then hell yes, those tables are worth it. But where you are right now... I am not so sure. Its just smarter when low-rolled to bank a smaller guaranteed profit than the potential bigger profit. Being low-rolled for a while, I found it much more reassuring on the nerves to just bank constant profits, even if they were smaller profits than I might have otherwise earned. I know I cost myself opportunities for profit, but when you are down like that, your primary concern should be getting your bankroll back up and minimizing variance. This is not to say you can't make money off the fish, but I'm just content to make a note of them, maybe buddy list them, bank my profit and steal their money another night.