Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Why Poker?

Why do you guys play poker?

For me, I play for a few reasons... and, surprisingly, #1 is not money. The #1 reason why I play poker is that it is a competitive game. And I like games, especially competitive games. I want to be the best at every game I play. Poker is just the first game I have found where I can also win a lot of money if I get good at it so I am not just 'wasting my time', whatever that means. So the #1 reason why I play is that it is a competitive game-- my competitive game of choice for the past few years. #2 is that I can win a lot of money playing it.

I think this why I have zero interest in playing 50 tables, even though I am pretty sure I could crush the 10-20 six-max game for more than I am beating the higher limits. And also why I really enjoy being in hands heads-up with good players. And is probably why I get bored when I am playing in a "good game", even though it is exactly the type of game I should be most excited about playing in, since I win the most money at it. The "good game" is boring because the strategy is fairly straightforward. No trickery or deep thought involved-- well not as much as when you are playing against a good player. I think it might also be the reason why I am more immune to tilt than most people, and don't do things like shout or get angry or punch my monitor or whatever. My #1 goal is to play the best I possibly can to beat the competitive game, not win money, so when I fail at winning money I am not that upset. I get more upset when I am not playing well, which in turn prompts me to get mad at myself and stop playing when I am not playing well, an excellent defense mechanism for long term survival in poker.

It could be that moving up to uncomfortable limits makes #2 take precedence over #1, because the money becomes more important. And then I will lose some of my advantage in the game such as the desire to play perfectly and not get upset, because the money lost might overshadow the desire to play well. This is why I have taken longer to move up to limits that Schneids and BK are playing, even though I am rolled to play in the games. However the desire to excel at the competitive game means I must move up in limits and play against tougher and tougher opposition. There is a balance between #1 and #2 inside of me-- when the money gets big, #2 starts to become more important than #1. I think this balance is very healthy to have, keeps me from playing too high or playing in very tough games but doesn't keep me out of moving up limits quickly or playing in moderately tough games.

This post is entirely inappropriate and appropriate for HUSH. HUSH people are my peeps so I'm posting it here rather than in psychology. Just things to think about.