Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2003, 09:21 AM

Default I know I shouldn\'t, but I just can\'t help it...

This is from Phil Hellmuth's latest article in CardPlayer.

I lost $1,000 to Matusow after betting that A-K offsuit was a favorite over A-K suited. I hear you laughing over that one, and it does seem counterintuitive, but I was going on a “fact” I’d heard a few months earlier. The “fact” was wrong and I lost.

*sigh* I need to get to know Phil so I can make some $1,000 bets with him. I wonder if he's heard about the computer hand yet or not...
Old 07-11-2003, 10:11 AM

Default This one\'s worse

Mike Matusow bet me $10,000 on the position of Robert Varkonyi when he played a huge pot with John Shipley, in which Varkonyi’s J-J was up against Shipley’s A-J at the 2002 World Series of Poker (WSOP) final table; Matusow bet they were on the button and in the small blind, respectively, and Mike was right for $10,000 of my money!

Excuse me, this was *after* it happened. Was Phil drunk? I think Matusow has found himself a patsy. Maybe I can get Phil to bet me that Mariano Rivera won't blow game 7 of the 2001 World Series.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:47 AM

Default Re: I know I shouldn\'t, but I just can\'t help it...

Can someone explain to me why CardPlayer pays him to write for them? Are they that desperate for big name players?

Is that for real? On of the supposed best players in the world thought AKo was better than AKs? How is that even possible?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:57 AM

Hey, you can make two flushes with AKo but only one with AKs [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

His columns are totally useless. He has nothing interesting to say and no sense of humor. He also has a column in the Poker Player newspaper now, which is equally bad.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:00 AM

Haha Max, you beat me to it. Wouldn't it be great to have Phil in your home game?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:25 AM

I my humble opinion you guys are duped. Phil Helmuth wants you to believe he is stupid, egotistical, childish, and on tilt at all times. He has berated pros for writing books and giving up the secrets, but when he writes a bunch of nonsense and gets paid to do it we think he is stupid and doesn't know any better. I also think he wants to be invited to your home game provided the stakes are worth his time.

If you assume on the words he says he's an idiot but if you look at the facts, MONEY, what in reality does that tell you? You make these kind of assumptions at the poker it will cost you.

One last thing, if you play me just remember I am an idiot looking for my chicken.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:31 AM

"If you assume on the words he says he's an idiot but if you look at the facts, MONEY, what in reality does that tell you? You make these kind of assumptions at the poker it will cost you.

One last thing, if you play me just remember I am an idiot looking for my chicken.

Thomasterm the difference here is that you are a poker player impersonating a fool and Phil is a fool impersonating a poker player.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:16 PM

I disagree. It is the other way around. How much money have I won? How much has Helmuth won? You don't win as much money as Phil has without knowing a little something about Poker.

Look at the responses. How many people want to play this guy? Does any other pro get a bigger emotional response out of would be fish?

Ok, if he can't play how is it that he wins? IMHO it is easier for words to deceive than results.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:34 PM

Agreed. I didn't say that he was stupid or a bad poker player, just that his columns are bad.

Old 07-11-2003, 02:02 PM

How do you know Phil is doing so well at poker? He won a couple of tourney's at the WSOP this year, but he also spends lots of money on tournament entry fees, and obviously loses alot in ring games and with his internet play. If not for the book/endorsement deals he has very wisely set up, who knows if Phil would be in poker anymore? The man loses A LOT of money. So perhaps you know where we can find out what he spent vs what he made (playing poker) for the year and we can decide just how superb his playing skills are. Otherwise, I'll be glad for Phil to come on down anytime, I've seen him play alot more then he's seen me play [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think Phil is great for poker. I don't like listening to him, reading what he writes, or even seeing his face on TV playing in the WPT or WSOP. But because he is young, and has faired well in WSOP events, he brings a nice brash to Poker that makes most people love to hate him. If his style brings people to poker, thats great. But I think you give the man too much credit for his actions.