Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Trainwreck

im oop and i like my hand, and i dont want to show any free rivers.

i will make it 4 bets.

if he 5bets (or if there is a cap ignore this) i call at least until the river and decide.

if he calls my bet and raises the turn i look at the size of the pot and decide how often my 5 outs are good.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:49 PM

This hand seems pretty tough to answer because I don't know how Boutros plays against you and how he perceives your cold call.

You say he puts you on a hand like 76, but if he's played a lot with you, he should know that you're cold calling few hands containing 6s in the SB(I assume you're 3-betting A6s...which ones are you cold calling). OTOH, if you have any pair in the whole you would have 3-bet pre flop, so it seems likely that you have a middling queen or a club draw. If you are doing a lot more cold calling than I indicate, that changes the dynamic of the hand.

I think your plan for the rest of the hand depends a lot on how Boutros is going to react to your various lines with a worse hand.

If you check-raise the turn, can he get away from a middle pair? Can he play back at your turn check-raise with a worse hand? I don't think he's going to check through on the turn with anything because he uses his tight image to generate fold equity with his draws and he's too good to miss value bets with his made hands.

My default would be to check-call down, but I can see how this is a tough spot against this player.

Who would you say are the other comparably skilled 4-6 handed players?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:02 PM

How about calling down and donking the river?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about calling down and donking the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think donking river can be good, but it depends on his calling frequencies with worse hands, his bluff raising frequency and his bluff betting(or "value" betting a worse hand) frequency.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with 3 betting preflop. Just adjust a bit postflop.

I cap and lead on the flop here. Maximize value, give him no options for free cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be complete obvious but if he pops you on the turn are you still getting to showdown?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Schneids, is boutros just calling PF with a lot of hands that he might three bet, or would he just go ahead and three bet with hands like KQo, KQs, AQs, JJ, 1010, and maybe 99. Would he three bet PF with QJs?

Your call PF has to throw him off a little bit as its been 10 hands and you have three bet this guy twice. Have you played against Boutros before for him to have a certain image of you?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 PM

Interesting because you have a few options. It seems like your characterization of him as "very tough postflop" is coming into play. Being OOP sucks here.

You're looking at a big queen, a mid PP (he probably 3-bets JJ, TT, 99 preflop), a small set or a club draw the majority of the time here. Against that range, your best play is probably to call the flop 3-bet and c/r the turn (if you're sure he would fire a continuation bet with a draw), folding to a turn 3-bet. If he would check the turn with a draw, donking the turn would be better although I don't know how comforatable you are folding to a turn raise.

Calling down and donking the river doesn't serve much purpose in this hand considering that most of the hands you beat are flush draws that he can't call the river with, and only a few combinations of 44-88.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, one of the reasons to 3-bet -- getting Boutros out PF -- isn't quite as important because he is tight and most of the hands that he'll fold for three bets he'll fold for two bets anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also FWIW I really think he expects I have a hand like 76.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to be an odd combination of ideas.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:52 PM

I'm a simple soul. I would reraise my nice hand and keep betting it until I got raised again. Then I would call down.

In view of the thread title I suppose my locomotive will reach the end of the track going full speed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

I'm with the cap/lead guys.

A question - will he call down with a A6/76/midPP-type hand barring a club falling? If so I like 4betting better because he has to keep you honest, though you do have to contend with a possble turn FSD raise if he's also got any Q. If you think he'll let go of these hands on the turn I think you should start semibluff capping your FDs OOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf