Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM

Default JT misses flop

Maybe not the most intresting hand to analyse ever but...

Button is a pretty good player (27% flop seen). SB is very loose (55% flop seen).

I misses the flop totally, but think it's a decent chance both opponents done the same.

Should I bet, and if so, how much?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($421.90)
SB ($1161.50)
BB ($189)
Hero ($764.45)
MP ($570.80)
CO ($382.58)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $16, SB (poster) calls $14, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($52) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: JT misses flop

I might bet (about 20), but only because I raised preflop. If he raises, I obviously lay it down.

If he calls, I probably check/fold the turn unless something indicates I should do otherwise
Old 10-22-2005, 04:54 PM

I thought because of the texture, (no straightdraws) of the flop a bet might be in order.

I think its a little leak in my game to not bet the flop unless i have "something" maybe 55 in this example.

I almost never bet into 2 players on a flop like 79T if I misses completely.

Is a bet of about 20-25 have same effect as a potbet in situations like this hand (the one I posted)?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is a bet of about 20-25 have same effect as a potbet in situations like this hand (the one I posted)?

[/ QUOTE ]

20-25 here has the potential to be terrible. Unless you would regularly bet that if you held AK, and villians know this, I think you have to bet it like you got AK/AA. That is IF you bet. You don't have to continuation bet every hand. I probably would here, but I don't raise up JTo UTG like you did here, so what do I know.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 05:12 PM

you always play JTo UTG?
is this considered a good raise...?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:18 PM

I maybe raise with JT utg 20-25% of the time and fold the rest. I didn't have a very good reason to do this here but felt for it and had a good feel for the other players and the tempo of the table. Is it terrible to do once in a while?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you always play JTo UTG?
is this considered a good raise...?

[/ QUOTE ]

player and style dependent. you have to be an excellent postflop player to have success with this which is why most people avoid doing it.

I think this isn't a good place to c-bet. SB is bad and you know bad players love flushdraws (unless you said he was NIT bad and i didn't realize). 1/2 pot wouldn't be good. the player with position on you is good. 1/2 pot looks like a semi-bluff since you're failing to protect a made hand and he might bluff raise or semi-bluff raise you.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:25 PM

I was thinking about the flushdraw there maybe gives me less reason to cont bet. But with SB's random holding I dont think the flushdraw makes much different, does it?

SB was also pretty str8forward postflop. Folding with nothing calls with something. But I had never seen him bet into preflopraiser.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought because of the texture, (no straightdraws) of the flop a bet might be in order.

I think its a little leak in my game to not bet the flop unless i have "something" maybe 55 in this example.

I almost never bet into 2 players on a flop like 79T if I misses completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

20-25 dollars doesn't have the same effect in this situation. With the flush draw out I think if you decide to CB this flop it needs to be closer 2/3- full pot depending on what is normal for you. It has to look like you are charging a flush draw with say AK or AA, 1/2 pot or less looks too weak and you might get a fiesty button or SB to raise you with Air or make it more likely they will call to take it away on the turn. Even without the flush draw I rarely bet 1/2 pot or less on the flop.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:34 PM

Pretty aggro raise PF. I can see it though if you have a passive image. Now, if youŽre gonna bet, youŽll have to bet atleast $40. I check most of the time though.