Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 01:20 AM

Default From Barry Greenstein\'s book

[Note: Barry writes about win rates in terms of big bets per hour, or in terms of a "1% advantage, 2% advantage", etc, on your total action. I have translated his numbers into big bets per hundred hands.]

Barry writes:

"A motivated high-stakes [internet] player . . . can play in two to four games at the same time, averaging around the $150-$300 limit for his total action. Playing fifty hours per week, four weeks per month, yeilds:

$300 * 1BB/100 hands
* 66 hands per hour [per table]
* 200 hours per month

= $40,000 per month.

. . .

Those few players who are willing to put in the time and are able to maintain greater than 2BB/100 can make more than a million dollars in a year. However, most players who are capable of doing that would have a better chance in live games, where it is possible to make that kind of money without getting burned out in the process."

What do you think of the last sentence? Is Barry right?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: From Barry Greenstein\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
[Note: Barry writes about win rates in terms of big bets per hour, or in terms of a "1% advantage, 2% advantage", etc, on your total action. I have translated his numbers into big bets per hundred hands.]

Barry writes:

"A motivated high-stakes [internet] player . . . can play in two to four games at the same time, averaging around the $150-$300 limit for his total action. Playing fifty hours per week, four weeks per month, yeilds:

$300 * 1BB/100 hands
* 66 hands per hour [per table]
* 200 hours per month

= $40,000 per month.

. . .

Those few players who are willing to put in the time and are able to maintain greater than 2BB/100 can make more than a million dollars in a year. However, most players who are capable of doing that would have a better chance in live games, where it is possible to make that kind of money without getting burned out in the process."

What do you think of the last sentence? Is Barry right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Barry doesn't like playing online.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:24 AM

too many numbers in your post. i stopped reading.

but what about the part where he says have many sex partners at each tournament stop so youll play well. or did that get discussed in another forum?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:32 AM

i disagreed with that sentence the first time i read it, and i sent barry an email about it. i basically pointed out a few reasons why many players could be better off playing online. his response was that "those few" refers to only a handful of excellent all around players. for that category of player i agree with him.

however i still think that reading the section it seems that he could be referring to a much wider group of people. but im certainly in no position to determine how many players there are who fit his criteria.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i disagreed with that sentence the first time i read it, and i sent barry an email about it. i basically pointed out a few reasons why many players could be better off playing online. his response was that "those few" refers to only a handful of excellent all around players. for that category of player i agree with him.

however i still think that reading the section it seems that he could be referring to a much wider group of people. but im certainly in no position to determine how many players there are who fit his criteria.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect to Barry, I simply think he has been playing so high for so long that he has trouble making out all the rungs below his and the different type of players and possibilities in the online realm.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:54 AM

I think you can survey all the 30/60 (not even close to the level in his example)players here who average ~30 hrs a week for ~1 year and you'll find many who are probably on the verge of burnout or boredom.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Using big bets per hour and percent advantages for online play is like a scientist refusing to use the Metric system.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:58 AM

I can't even describe how easy it is to burn out after even 1 month of hard play. I have to take a vacation every couple months or do something really nice for myself to find the effort to keep going.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect to Barry, I simply think he has been playing so high for so long that he has trouble making out all the rungs below his and the different type of players and possibilities in the online realm.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is that his statement doesnt require him to know what youre claiming he doesnt. he estimates the earnings possible online for the top players. then he says that given his estimates the top players are better off playing live. i think hes very well qualified to make both points, neither statement requires him to have any knowledge of the various lower levels of online poker.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but what about the part where he says have many sex partners at each tournament stop so youll play well. or did that get discussed in another forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

In an episode out of my personal twilight zone, my wife picked up Barry's book and somehow turned directly to that page. The told me, "If you ever do that I am leaving you", in the most accusatory manner possible. Wtf Barry, she normally wouldn't read one page of my poker books!