Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Blind vs blind not huge pot party, then one huge pot 10-20

I get dealt AQ in SB folds to me 10 handed, no real read on BB except that he had tons of chips in front of him and was unknown, so I'm naturally suspicious.

I raise to 85, he calls.

Flop Ad 7h 6d. I have black AQ. I bet 150, he calls instantly. Turn 9h. I check he thinks and checks. Turn 2h. I bet 650.

Second hand same party 10-20. This player is a rock. Folded to me in MP with 4k, he has me covered. I raise to 80 with red 88. He calls on the button, sb comes along. Flop 844. I bet 220, he calls, sb folds. Turn T, I bet 500 he min raises, I call. river 2, no flush draws around at any point in the hand. I check, he bets 2500.

-Jason
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Blind vs blind not huge pot party, then one huge pot 10-20

I like the first hand fine.

As for the second hand, I rarely play this high, but I'd be firing my chips in with a cannon after he makes that bet. Am I missing something? I'd expect AA or KK from him, unless he always reraises them preflop. Two hands beat you - 10 10, 4 4 - no way in hell I could ever lay this down.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:13 AM

1st hand seems okay….What are the stack sizes?

2nd hand…I’m getting my chips in here. If he’s got 10-10 so be it. Even though he’s a rock, I think it’s more likely he’s got a 4. When he minraises the turn, I reraise to 2k and push on the river if he calls.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Hand 1 - I prefer $450, maybe $500 on the river.

Hand 2 - What do you mean by rock? Just tight preflop or tiny low AF values? This is really worrying but I can't fold it.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 AM

First hand is probably close to my default line. I like it.

Second hand- I push on the river after he bets 2500 for the last coulple hundred you have. It looks like AA to me. No way in hell I'm folding this.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 AM

2nd hand: if you like your read, does a known rock fire a big bet without 2nd nuts?? you might see AA or KK though so I would just call it.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:02 PM

in hand 1 are you betting the river because you think he will call with something worse than an A or because you dont think he will value bet a weaker A if its checked to him?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - I prefer $450, maybe $500 on the river.

Hand 2 - What do you mean by rock? Just tight preflop or tiny low AF values? This is really worrying but I can't fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt worry too much.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get dealt AQ in SB folds to me 10 handed, no real read on BB except that he had tons of chips in front of him and was unknown, so I'm naturally suspicious.

I raise to 85, he calls.

Flop Ad 7h 6d. I have black AQ. I bet 150, he calls instantly. Turn 9h. I check he thinks and checks. Turn 2h. I bet 650.

Second hand same party 10-20. This player is a rock. Folded to me in MP with 4k, he has me covered. I raise to 80 with red 88. He calls on the button, sb comes along. Flop 844. I bet 220, he calls, sb folds. Turn T, I bet 500 he min raises, I call. river 2, no flush draws around at any point in the hand. I check, he bets 2500.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont like the first hand where you check the turn. If he is at a draw you just let him draw for free. He mihgt have a weak ace and again by checking your not getting full value out of your hand. I dont mind the rest of the play on the first hand.

On the second hand
I think you should have raraised the turn to see where you were at. Since you didnt on the river i dont like the check. Your inviting any real good players to mess with your head and bet big. I cant see myself folding here. But I wasnt there. If the guy was as much of a rock as you say he was its an easy fold.

3rd WHAT IS A POOHBAH
Regards
Old 07-19-2005, 01:57 PM

on hand 1:
jason is merely exercising pot control on the turn. he has a one pair hand out of position, and would like to see what his opponent does on the turn. as the opponent checked behind, it is pretty clear that the opponent is on a draw.

on hand 2:
reraising the turn essentially commits jason...i think checking the river is perfect because it allows the villain to bet hands that jason has beat. if jason bets out on the river, villain does not call with a worse hand, MAYBE one with a 4 in it.