Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Kings on BB - Help my play?

Background/disclaimers:

I don't really post much here at 2+2, but I lurk occasionally. I have been playing 1/2 NL for a bit now, but I feel I have alot to learn and my game needs alot of work. I welcome comments everwhere.

During this hand, my image at the table was that I was playing tight, and honestly, at this point I was probably the weakest player at the table. We were 6 handed at this point. 3 of the players at the table support themselves with poker winnings, of those, 2 are excellent NL players and one is an excellent limit player. So other than playing at a softer fricken table, I'd like to hear any tips/pointers.

KK on BB
UTG folds
raise to 8$
fold
button calls
SB folds
I raise to 16$
fold
button calls.

Now I am heads up, my opponent is closer to my skill level, but still better. I havn't been playing with him much tonight, but in previous weeks I have seen him play good cards, not bluffing alot. My stack is about 200$, he is about 160$ or so.

Flop: 2h 5d 6d

I bet 20$. Button raises to 50$. I call. I figure he has to have an over pair, a set or flush draw. Plus, honestly, I was concerned about the straight, even tho in retrospect he isn't the kind of player to be in there with straight cards for that board.

Turn: black 4

Because I was thinking straight (even though i shouldn't have), I just checked. He bets 75$. Now I think harder, and realize that he doesn't have the straight or a straight draw unless maybe its pocket sevens. So that leaves the flush draw, a set or an overpair. My stack wasn't huge, I figured either fold or push. If I called I can't see folding on the river due to the amount in the pot.

I ended up pushing. He called.

River: 8

he won with trip 6s

Again, I welcome comments everywhere. I realize I need to improve.

-pj
Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Kings on BB - Help my play?

by min reraising out of the blinds, you effectively told him what you had while simultaneously giving him good odds to hit a set on you. Then you went and paid him off with your whole stack.

Make it 30 to play preflop.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:45 AM

Donīt post results.

I would have made it 25-30 pre-flop.

Bet 30-ish on the flop. Him coming over the top smells trouble. How well does he know you? Does he think you would re-raise AK or JJ pre-flop. You hand is very well defined and he still gives action. I honestly donīt know how I would continue. Folding seems weak, but so does calling and check-folding the turn. A raise will only get called by hands that you beat. If he is semi-good, so would a stop n go. BTW, do you have the Kd?

Someone else will have to take it from here.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by min reraising out of the blinds, you effectively told him what you had while simultaneously giving him good odds to hit a set on you. Then you went and paid him off with your whole stack. Make it 30 to play preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree. You gave him huge implied odds when you paid off his set. Definitely re-raise more preflop.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 AM

Well, you can't always get all-in preflop vs. 2 smaller pairs when you have kings....

Maybe you should stick to calling all-ins with gutshot draws to split (and getting there)

(And to the regulars who don't know WTF I'm talking about, don't worry-- the OP ought to get it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donīt post results.

[/ QUOTE ]

apologies.....mark that one off to 2+2 posting noob'ness.

[ QUOTE ]

I would have made it 25-30 pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, after thinking more about this after the hand I realize this was my biggest failure.

[ QUOTE ]

Bet 30-ish on the flop. Him coming over the top smells
trouble. How well does he know you? Does he think you would re-raise AK or JJ pre-flop. You hand is very well defined

[/ QUOTE ]

We have played in previous weeks. I am not sure if he has enough of a read to think I could have AK or JJ. Probably figures there is a small chance, but much more likely of me having a bigger pair.

[ QUOTE ]

go. BTW, do you have the Kd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention, yes I did have the Kd.

Thanks for the help guys...reiterating what I was beating myself up about after the hand. I'll keep repeating 'Reraise enough to keep myself out of trouble' to myself for the rest of the day.

-pj
Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you can't always get all-in preflop vs. 2 smaller pairs when you have kings....

Maybe you should stick to calling all-ins with gutshot draws to split (and getting there).

(And to the regulars who don't know WTF I'm talking about, don't worry-- the OP ought to get it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

hey.....I freely admit my game needs work. no need to be a jerk.

oh and that split pot, i had a pair too! haha It happened once....like 2 months ago. geeze.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:33 PM

I wasn't trying to be a jerk; just some good-natured ribbing to let you know who I am without making a lame "I'm the guy from the 3 seat that night" post.

You seem to always have a big stack of chips when I cash out for the night-- you must be doing something right.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't trying to be a jerk; just some good-natured ribbing to let you know who I am without making a lame "I'm the guy from the 3 seat that night" post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recognize the icon. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

You seem to always have a big stack of chips when I cash out for the night-- you must be doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least my luck/winnings from last week paid for my lessons last night.

-pj