Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Logic in an atheistic worldview

[ QUOTE ]
atheism is a hope that we are insignifficant, purposeless beings that are going to bite the dust soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is catagorially false. Atheism has nothing to do with "hope" for anything. It's simply the the lack in any belief in a specific supernatural explanation for the universe.

Let me put it this way, I don't think Christianity is a reasonable explanation for the universe. Furthermore, I have never come across any supernatural belief system that is either. All atheists feel this way and this is what makes us atheists. Nothing more.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 AM

But it does mean that you believe that we are in fact insignifficant, purposeless beings, and that when we die the dust is our home. Is this what you believe?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it does mean that you believe that we are in fact insignifficant, purposeless beings, and that when we die the dust is our home. Is this what you believe?

[/ QUOTE ]
As an atheist I have no reason to believe/expect anything more. I accept this as a reality I can't change.

You could say I'm serendipitous about it.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 AM

Being part of the process is NOT insignificant or purposeless. Life is what you make of it.

I often wonder what would happen if science ever DID prove the non-existence of god. Would all theists jump off bridges because they could see no significance in living another day? Un-friggin real.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
atheism is a..

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one ending for a sentence starting that way. ".... claim there is no god". To think otherwise is like believing that all the people on the subway are going to your home. Nope, they're all just on the subway, how, why, etc, can't be derived in a general case statement for their presense on the subway.

There is no 'race' of atheists' or 'atheists creed' or ' atheistic personality' or any other grouping.

"theism is a hope that we are insignificant, purposeless beings that can only have meaning in our life if there is a Casper-the-Great in the sky who will punish us for coveting our neighbours mule." That would be a sad excuse for a meaningful life, fit best for sado-maso pairing.

luckyme, hoping your next few high school years cheer you up a bit.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:02 AM

I'm as happy as a beaver. I'm glad I don't believe in that sad excuse for a meaningful life that you painted.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A creator seems far more logical to me than believing in this soup which life crawled from with no evidence. At least people have said that there is little evidence for belief in a God... atheism is a hope that we are insignifficant, purposeless beings that are going to bite the dust soon enough. There will be no repurcussions for the life we have lived, utter meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it interesting that some members of the human race developed a crude cerebral structure in their lower intestinal lining. This allows them to construct certain thoughts and opinions entirely within their anus.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Though i may not agree with you in this case-that was funny.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Though i may not agree with you in this case-that was funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't make fun of Christians. I make fun of imbeciles.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A creator seems far more logical to me than believing in this soup which life crawled from with no evidence. At least people have said that there is little evidence for belief in a God... atheism is a hope that we are insignifficant, purposeless beings that are going to bite the dust soon enough. There will be no repurcussions for the life we have lived, utter meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says there is a 'little' evidence of god - there is absolutely NO evidence of god. That is why they call it faith. You don't need faith to believe in something if there is evidence for it. Thus atheist don't need faith - they see evidence of their logical beliefs everywhere.