Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Question about post flop experts.

I hear commentators on poker shows talk about professional players "outplaying" nonprofessionals on the flop. I thought I knew what that meant, but the more I learn about the game, the less I think I know.

What are ways in which a better player can outplay me after the flop?

I'd like to mix up my play more, play a wider range of hands, and not bet so predictably, but my competitors seem to know when I have a modest hand.

thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Question about post flop experts.

The skill to be able to make you throw your cards away without a showdown, even though your cards are the best.

And conversely

The skill to be able to induce you to bet your weaker hand
Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 PM

I knew after my question posted that it was a weak question. I just didn't want to get long-winded.

Is superior post-flop play more a matter of reading your opponents, or a continuation of taking control of the hand? Judging by the players who are labeled excellent post-flop players--Helmuth, Negranu, Lindgren--it would appear that these are players who are excellent readers of the opposition, not necessarily just ultra aggressive players.

So, what are they better at than their competitors? Since a lot of contributors to this forum discount the value of "tells," I would assume their edge is not picking up on tells. Are they better at putting their opponents on a range of hands preflop and narrowing it down by their betting on the flop? Are they better at selective aggression? Are they more comfortable putting their stacks at risk?

What's the difference between these players, and players like Hoyt Corkins or Antonio the Magician, players whose game seems predicated more on aggressiveness?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew after my question posted that it was a weak question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't find it weak, but your follow-ups are good too.

[ QUOTE ]
Is superior post-flop play more a matter of reading your opponents, or a continuation of taking control of the hand? Judging by the players who are labeled excellent post-flop players--Helmuth, Negranu, Lindgren--it would appear that these are players who are excellent readers of the opposition, not necessarily just ultra aggressive players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no NLHE expert by a longshot, but imagine it's two sides of the same coin. Players who read the opposition well know when to be aggressive. If raw, unselective aggression were winning play, poker would be easy. They know when to be aggressive because they correctly judge more than how their opponents will react (folding better hands, calling value bets).

[ QUOTE ]
So, what are they better at than their competitors? Since a lot of contributors to this forum discount the value of "tells," I would assume their edge is not picking up on tells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa!!!

It's all about context. I would say don't bother looking for tells in the Foxwoods $2/4 until you're playing the cards and the situation optimally, because there's much more to be made from that sort of technical knowledge. At high levels (limit or NL), tells are tremendously important because supposedly everyone has the basic technical knowledge. Low-buyin NLHE is probably a middle ground where technical knowledge can make some money but reads/tells are helpful too.

I look for reads and tells in low-limit games because correct play can get boring and I want to learn this for when I move up. But you don't need to focus on tells until you're well on your way up the food chain. And often a good read is just an intuition about psychology that doesn't involve a specific physical manifestation, i.e. isn't a tell.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12 PM

I think of "outplaying" when use like this to mean: Over time, the better player (pro) is going to make better decisions post-flop, so he will be able to play more hands profitably.

I don't really think it means a pro is playing his 54s with a plan to pull some super tricky move that wins him all kinds of pots.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:04 PM

There are lots of things that let players "outplay" their opponents. Among them are:

<ul type="square">[*]Hand reading[*]Player reading using tells and betting pattern analysis[*]Ability to manipulate pot odds effectively[*]Table image[/list]
etc.

Regards,

T
Old 08-09-2005, 07:47 AM

I thuink it comes with time. I ONLY play online and when I had Poker Edge I was AMAZED at how many tight players were long term losers. When I looked more deeply it was poor post flop play.

The more hands you play the better you get post flop - no charts to tell you what to do. You start to look at betting patterns, hand reading and past experience in the millions of things that can happen in a game.

[url=http://www.grinderswarehouse.com]Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG[/url
Old 08-09-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are ways in which a better player can outplay me after the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here are a few:
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Value betting more successfully while ahead.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Getting people to fold profitable draws.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Protecting more effectively against weak draws.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Avoiding unprofitable calls.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Making more profitable calls.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Bluffing more effectively.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Getting people to bet less while the expert is behind but would still call.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Inducing people to bluff or make incorrect value bets more while the expert is ahead.

These don't require getting inside someone'e head or finding extra information. That part of poker is grossly overrated. Judging the strength of your hand relative to the betting pattern is underrated, but very important. So is making use of the betting options.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:38 AM

Wow, I got some really great feedback. Thanks to all.

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Value betting more successfully while ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
Ways to defend against this would be to (1) have good starting hands relative to position and (2) let go of hands if the flop isn't promising?

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Getting people to fold profitable draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ways to defend against this would be to know my pot odds and EV and play accordingly?

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Bluffing more effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]
Way to defend against this--protecting the button, protecting the blinds? Would this be with a semi-bluff or better quality hand? What's the best way to do this--reraise preflop or lead out on the flop with a sizeable bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Getting people to bet less while the expert is behind but would still call.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Inducing people to bluff or make incorrect value bets more while the expert is ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know that I fall victim to the first of these. This is great analysis--it lets me know what I need to work on to take my play to another level. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Just a thought, but remember that in televised poker you are seeing a small percentage of total hands played. Because of this, it's easy to get a skewed perception of how people *really* play. For instance, from watching on-line it looks like Gus Hansen plays 80-90% of his cards. Truth is he probably plays a much lower percentage (30%?) but many of those hands never make it to air. Harrington discusses this briefly in HoH-1.

To answer your question about post-flop play, I do think what several of the other respondants have said is dead-on. Reading other players is part of it, sure, but also having an excellent grasp of the odds and how the texture of the board is influencing the hand are big factors as well.

Harrington talks about this a bit too: namely, that you are better off being faced with EASY decisions on the flop rather than hard decisions. This principal (which Ed Miller uses, really, as the cornerstone of his NL Cash strategy in GSIH) is what informs Harrington's starting hand recs (which are fairly conservative/tight). With really great players, they are better at navigating those TOUGH decisions post-flop than a beginner.

I see it in my own game when I am able to check from the BB with a marginal hand (that I would have folded otherwise) and then hit the flop, but not that hard. For instance:

4 limpers and I check from the BB with J9 off. The flop comes QJ2 with two cards suited to my 9. I now have middle pair with a medium kicker at best and a backdoor flush draw and I'm first to act after the flop.

Me: can't play that situation very well.
Professional: can.