Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 04:22 AM

Default How profitable is Omaha HL online?

I enjoy Omaha 8 more than any other game, and I am wonndering if it is viable online...

I'm posting this here because I'd sort of like to hear from a broad cross section of people, if possible. I will post it in the Omaha forum in good time, never fear. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: How profitable is Omaha HL online?

I find that people are in general even worse at O/8 than at hold'em. Only problem is that during non-peak hours the game selection might be a bit small.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:24 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

The problem is that you can get pushed out of decent hands pre-flop by the idiots at the $25 PL Omaha hi/lo tables who raise like maniacs before the flop with hands like K/9/K/9 (just my experience)

But yeah, I enjoy this game whether it's limit or pot limit. And 7-stud hi/lo can be a fun game as well. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy Omaha 8 more than any other game, and I am wonndering if it is viable online...

I'm posting this here because I'd sort of like to hear from a broad cross section of people, if possible. I will post it in the Omaha forum in good time, never fear. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

3-6 and higher limit Omaha-8 games online are usually lousy. There are a lot of strong players and very few fish - so you don't get the huge fields of mostly garbage hands that make this game profitable.

Pot-limit Omaha-8 games vary greatly. Sometimes they're very good, usually they're terrible - lots of rocks and very few action players who make dumb calls postflop. I think overall they're generally less profitable than no-limit holdem or pot-limit Omaha high for someone who plays all three games well.

Pot-limit Omaha-8 SNGs can be very profitable if you find a table with lots of dead money. When they were just introduced,it was possible to finish in the money at least 2/3 of the time. The quality of play has improved with time, but they are still very beatable, at least at the 30+3 level.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But yeah, I enjoy this game whether it's limit or pot limit. And 7-stud hi/lo can be a fun game as well. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

7cs hi/lo is probably the most fun form of poker there is. I'm working on hooking my thursday night gamers on this.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3-6 and higher limit Omaha-8 games online are usually lousy. There are a lot of strong players and very few fish - so you don't get the huge fields of mostly garbage hands that make this game profitable.

Pot-limit Omaha-8 games vary greatly. Sometimes they're very good, usually they're terrible - lots of rocks and very few action players who make dumb calls postflop. I think overall they're generally less profitable than no-limit holdem or pot-limit Omaha high for someone who plays all three games well.

Pot-limit Omaha-8 SNGs can be very profitable if you find a table with lots of dead money. When they were just introduced,it was possible to finish in the money at least 2/3 of the time. The quality of play has improved with time, but they are still very beatable, at least at the 30+3 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very helpful thanks. I played SNGs for my first two O8 experiences ever, and I got second in one and first in the other. Seemed like people really stunk, but I was probably also really lucky.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:30 AM

This is only what I've heard from doing a bit of reading during my stint into limit O8, while better hands stay good more often in O8 than in HE there is not much difference between a better than average O8 player and a great O8 player.

Also, most of the money is in HE at the moment and that's where most of the fish are.