Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Why is the 2+2 SNG formula so different from pro STT\'s I see on TV?

The prevailing wisdom here is to play very tight for the first few rounds then get aggressive when it gets short handed.
On Celebrity Poker or Poker Superstars it seems the hand selection is far more open. You're always hearing Phil Gordon say something like "KJ, ok, he has a great hand he should definitly raise here". In Poker Superstars Ace anything is considered and played like a strong hand.

I'm just curious as to why a STT on Party is played so differently than A STT of TV?

I apologize in advance if this is an ignorant question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Why is the 2+2 SNG formula so different from pro STT\'s I see on TV?

stack size for one. Plus it is a live game which changes the dynamic a lot. Finally, live STT's are a single game, single table. Most frequent posters play 4-8 tables at once.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Why is the 2+2 SNG formula so different from pro STT\'s I see on TV?

Well the stack sizes are very huge for one thing. You can't play enough of them in a year I wouldn't think to play theoretically "correct" ICM poker and accumulate a decent profit. You have to gamble sometimes.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Ah. that makes sense [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Play some 6 max and full ring cash games and you'll know when to make the switch.

KJo is a raising hand at 6-max but usually not at full ring. How many players are usually showcased on TV? About 6...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:24 PM

I think the key thing is that it's TV before it's poker.

My understanding is that the way these games (more the WPT than Celebrity, but still) get edited down is that they have 100+ hours of total footage (all those little table cams plus the 5 or so other cameras around the table) which they must cut down to an hour or two for airing. Obviously you're only seeing a small percentage of the total dealt hands, maybe 10%, probably even fewer.

The producers are, no doubt, pushing people like Mike Sexton and Phil Gordon to make comments that will appeal to their audience ("This is a great starting hand" etc.). SOMEONE keeps telling Vince Van Patten to say "Show tunes are going off in his head right now" (which, when you think about someone like TJ Cloutier, is just plain silly).

I just think in the final edit of these shows, they are looking for comments that will grab the attention of the audience. They (the producers) want a story told in each hand: Player 1 had the clear favorite, but Player 2 sucked him out on the river! And how do you set that up? By telling people that Player 1 had a great starting hand!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Why is the 2+2 SNG formula so different from pro STT\'s I see on TV

I would be suprised if the top Two Plus Two SNG players wouldn't have an edge against the "pros" in those silly one table tournaments that they're playing on fsn.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 AM

Celeb poker and FSN PSI shows are already 5 or 6 handed at the very start.

So you are already skipping the 'early stages' part of the 10-seat SNG's.

Also, the blinds are escalating really damn fast there.

KJo is a decent hand to play in the cut-off whether the table is 6-handed or 10-handed IF nobody has opened yet.

KJo is not quite so terrific from UTG 6-handed but it's okay.
Just as it is 'okay' from MP in a 10-seat SNG if nobody has opened and the blinds are starting to creep up a little bit.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:20 AM

OMG, we've sunk to a new low, bobs here! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG, we've sunk to a new low, bobs here! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]