Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Two QQ hands against the same villain

Party 5/10 full ring

The first hand I think is standard -- feel free to comment on my play, but I include it to give some history for the second hand.

Hand 1

I'm dealt red QQ in the big blind. UTG+1, MP, and button all call. Unknown villain in the SB completes. I raise, called around to the SB who now 3 bets. I cap, UTG+1 and button both fold. So we're three ways (me, SB, and MP) in what has become a large pot.

6h 5d 3h
Villain checks, I bet, MP calls, Villain raises, I 3bet, MP calls, Villain caps, we both call.

Th
Villain checks, I bet, MP folds, villain raises, I decide I'm convinced, and call.

2s
Villain checks, I decide I don't want to be the victim of a "my first trifecta post" and check behind. He shows 8s8h and I drag it.

OK, so on to hand 2. Villain has established himself as a 23/13 over 70 hands or so, with an aggression factor of 2 and a went to showdown of 41%.

I'm dealt QsQd in the hijack. Villain (same villain, SB from last hand), openraises directly to my right, and I 3bet. Everyone gets out of the way, and he caps. I call.

Ks4h4s
He leads. What's my plan here? I don't think I can fold at any point. How much action should I give?

I may do this street by street, depending on responses. I generally don't think those posts work, but we'll see.

-McGee
Old 12-11-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Two QQ hands against the same villain

Hand 2 seems like WA/WB, although with this guy he might well pay off with a lot of worse hands anyway. He's hard to gauge, but I think that if Hand 1 was indicative of how he plays, raising once and calling down thereafter seems reasonable. But I don't think just calling down is wrong either.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Given his love of the check-raise I am just calling this down from the off. The problem with raising the flop, which would be my standard play here, is that he may well check-raise the turn with the king which we then have to pay off as we know he is full of it.

My plan is to call it down, but to bet if he checks any street.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Since folding doesn't seem to be a viable option on the flop, raising only serves to payoff a better hand when behind (either getting 3 bet on flop, or getting c/r on turn), or helping a worse hand to fold. Unless you think this guy is capable of laying down a better hand then your QQ, which isn't likely in this spot, I don't see the benefit or raising here.

I like c/c here, unless an ace falls in which case I'd reconsider.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
helping a worse hand to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

based on Hand 1, this seems pretty unlikely, don't you think?

-McGee
Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 PM

why dont you raise the turn and take a free showdown if he bets the turn? if he checks the turn just check and call a river bet . if checks the river then bet and call a gay raise
Old 12-12-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why dont you raise the turn and take a free showdown if he bets the turn? if he checks the turn just check and call a river bet . if checks the river then bet and call a gay raise

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem like enough action for a guy who seems willing to go to war with some marginal hands. But if the consensus is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible, okay.

-McGee
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM

I am by no means an accomplished player, so the following are my thoughts (not necessarily reccomendations) for others to comment on as well...

If Hand #1 happened during a different session, then IMHO you could be a little more aggressive.

BUT, since they happened in the same session, even a really bad player would think twice about capping you pre-flop again with a marginal pair.

I would look at his PT stats to see how often he check-raises. If he had a K, a CR would be good here as he shouldn't be to scared of a free card (plus given the PF action he would expect you to bet.) Him betting out here may indicate a weaker hand.

Personally, I would raise the flop. If he comes back at me I would give him credit for the K. If you want to get a cheap showdown, a raise here may also get you a free card on the turn.

Plus, don't discount the gutshot flush draw you have. A spade on the Turn would be good for you.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM

i think this is at least a raise on the flop.He again could have pp and thinkin this flop didnt hit you try to push you off. What does he have that beats us.AA AK KK Kq.hard pressed to tell me this guy caps kj but maybey. I think i raise flop if he calls well then i still probly bet turn if check raised i hate myself but probably cry call till showdown. If flop is capped i still probably cry on turn and river unless an ace falls on either in which case i fold. Tell me what you think. just goin by info on what guy did on other hand
Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 seems like WA/WB

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I've seen WA/WB twice today. What's it mean?

SP