Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 PM

Default How do you apply the 10xbb rule in a pot limit tournament?

The question is kinda in the title there guys.

for example

Blinds 50/100

Hero is in ep with 800 and is dealt aqo

normally i would go all-in here, but in a pot limit tournament i think my maximum bet is 350.

this does make me pot committed to all but the most horrible flops i suppose but in general how do players alter the 10xbb rule to pot limit tournaments???

Also does anyone know a simply way to calculate maximum bet sizes in pot limit? I really should know it but just rely on the software to do it. But i have a live tourney coming up which is pot limit and i sort of need to know before i play it.

Cheers guys, forgive my ignorance.

P.s. i have posted this in both mtt forum and stt forum as i feel it is relevant to both.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: How do you apply the 10xbb rule in a pot limit tournament?

Ill leave it to the PL experts to address the 10X BB rule.

Max bet = all $$ in pot when it gets to you + your call + your call
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 PM

The other poster gave the way to calculate max bet in general. One useful particular, open raise is 3.5xBB, +1 BB for every limper. If someone else open raises, no callers to you, and you repot, you make it 12xBB.

With < 8xBB, both you and your opponents are committed to putting the rest in postflop, so I don' think there's much difference. With 8-12, if they just call your open, you probably can pull a pseudo stop and go when you put the rest in. I'm just thinking out loud, haven't played much PLHE.

You also might want to ty to limp reraise some of your stronger pushing hands, 88-TT, AQ, AK... not a bad thing to see a flop if it limps around, and may induce a raise from an over under hand to your pair that is then committed, or a dominated ace. Probably wouldn;t want to try this with weaker pairs because it is too easy to accidentally end up in a race versus a stealing hand.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 PM

If you have 8xBB, a pot sized raise is almost the same as pushing. With a somewhat bigger stack, you can't make allin moves and there is less to push at with no antes, so you limp or fold a lot of hands you would raise with. A lot of times you can make a pot sized reraise or raise at limpers that is big enough to be essentially a push.