Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 01:37 PM

Default For those who moved to Vegas or Atlantic City for poker

I don't think i'd do this but i'm wondering if I did decide that I wanted to live in Vegas to play poker, how easy it would be to make new friends. Most of my friends are not into poker to the extent that I am and definitely would not be up for moving to Vegas, so essentially I would not know anyone when moving there. As a poker player, i'm wondering how often people make new friends in Vegas. I'd hate to move out there and not know anyone since i'm so used to having friends to hang out with. Anyone have experience with moving to Vegas or atlantic city and not knowing anyone? Or just moving somewhere new period and not knowing anyone? I read one persons Vegas story and about some of the friends he made, but thats just one person.
I doubt any of the games in Vegas or AC are like my home games... when my friends I get together to play we talk and laugh non stop and it's just so much fun to play live. It would be cool if before moving out to Vegas if I had someone else who was trying to play poker and work.. or just play poker proefssionally. If I went to vegas and was a dealer I could probably meet other people my age because making friends on the job is easy.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: For those who moved to Vegas or Atlantic City for poker

LOL.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:54 PM

Sorry if this is harsh. Who cares about friends, you need to seriously evaluate your poker situation. I've never been to AC but have been to Vegas extensively. This is not going to be ANYTHING like your home games. The fact the you compare them leads me to believe you're not ready for serious live play. Even if you do make table "friends," they will undoubtedly take your money and not care less. You will not find a "crew" or a "posse" to hit up mid/hi stakes games and then go club afterwards. Poker, espcially B&M playing, is not about a social club. If your main concern is laughing it up at the table with some buddies, stick to home games.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:45 AM

JOPKE
Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 AM

Eventually you would make some friends in the poker rooms. You might even make a few that you will want to hang out with outside of the poker room and they can be true friends. You will have to understand that you will all have to play each other hard when in the game but that's poker.

If you want to make non-poker friends you've got to get out of the poker room into an environment that will be conducive to meeting people. This is good for your over-all life anyway. If you're not going to be working I'd suggest volunteering, taking classes at some community college or getting involved in social activities at local libraries or clubs that reflect you interests ie. astronomy or dance or art. Things like that.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:07 AM

If you want a normal life, poker is not it.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 AM

Have you read the Ed Miller "Going Pro" series in the 2+2 magazine?