Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Played Chinese Poker at the Wynn Today...

We played 2-7 low for the middle hand with $20 a point and I was wondering what skills there are to the game other than setting up the mathematically best version of your 13 cards.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Played Chinese Poker at the Wynn Today...

[ QUOTE ]
We played 2-7 low for the middle hand with $20 a point and I was wondering what skills there are to the game other than setting up the mathematically best version of your 13 cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are precious few people who can do this if any.

The other skill is deviating from what would be optimal strategy based on how your opponents play.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:39 AM

I've thought about this game a bit, I wonder if it's just to close in skill level that you could not get sufficient edge to beat the rake. But I think if you play against chinese people they'll be superstitious and play badly enough to take advantage.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've thought about this game a bit, I wonder if it's just to close in skill level that you could not get sufficient edge to beat the rake. But I think if you play against chinese people they'll be superstitious and play badly enough to take advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game has a very high luck factor unless you have at least one total idiot in the game. There isn't much skill beyond a few basic strategies really, and almost all decisions are either pretty straightforward or they are close enough that it doesn't matter that much either way.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The game has a very high luck factor unless you have at least one total idiot in the game. There isn't much skill beyond a few basic strategies really, and almost all decisions are either pretty straightforward or they are close enough that it doesn't matter that much either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Come play Chinese with me anyday
Old 07-04-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are SOOOOOOO wrong. Chinese Poker is a game of great variance, but I generally demolish my opponents if given enough time.

(I only play for between 1 to 5 buckes per point because my roll isn't big enough to blay in the bigger games)

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 10:48 AM

Can I get a one paragraph summary of how this game is played? I saw a post in one of the WSOP blogs how Brunson played this with someone (Layne Flack maybe?) during one of the breaks at their table. That was the first I had heard of it.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM

Default How to play

Can you guys elaborate instead of just saying wrong and you can mop the floor with people? That is what this post is about.

And for how the game is played:

Up to 4 players get 13 cards each and you have to re-arrange them into three poker hands. Two 5 card hands on the bottom and One 3 card hand on top. We played where the middle hand is the best 2-7 lowball hand, the bottom hand also has to be stronger than your top hand. So you can't just put trips on top and two pair on the bottom. After everyone arranges their hands, the cards are flipped over. Your 3 hands go against each opponents three hands. If player A has a better top hand and bottom hand than player B, but player B has a better middle hand (lowballl) than he won that round 2-1 = 1 Player B will give player A one chip of the value of a point. If you sweep someone and beat them in all three hands they owe 4 chips. You can also surrender for 2 chips. I may have missed something or could be wrong on a couple things, this was my first time.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: How to play

http://www.thesmolens.com/Don/Chinese/Index.asp
Old 07-06-2005, 09:05 AM

How much did they charge for the dealer/table?