Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Fold TT or JJ preflop, would you, have you?

Say you pick up TT or JJ in late position and you aer faced with the unique prospect of having to cold call capped betting. Obviously this is a pretty rare scenario, but it raises an interesting few thoughts.

1. The odds of someone having a big pair or AK are exceptionally high thus you are almost certainly behind.

2. If you can hit your set you're a heavy favorite to take down a monster pot.

I think the table read would also be a factor. At a wild and loose table obviously you'd be more inclined to call, at a very tight table it's an easy fold.

I've only had this situation twice and called both times. I took down a monster pot when my TT hit a set and easily folded my JJ when the flop came KQx and was capped again before it got to me.

And in case you were wondering, big pairs were out both times, first hand someone had QQ in front of me in the later hand there was a KK and a QQ.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Fold TT or JJ preflop, would you, have you?

I think this is one of those situations you have to consider the amount of money in the pot pf.

If you're getting like 6-1 or 7-1 on your call (including the bets to be called by the people already in the hand) it could be justified with any pair. You're implied odds are cut by 1/4 here, but there's almost no chance you're not getting paid off here when it comes.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 PM

I'd folded TT preflop plenty in MP and EP against raises and reraises. Never in LP. JJ I'm seeing flop regardless.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say you pick up TT or JJ in late position and you aer faced with the unique prospect of having to cold call capped betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your preflop investment is 4 SB. What can you expect to win? Capped betting means three other players who are going to see the flop. Conservatively, 13.5 SB preflop (don't forget the blind money). Two bets each on the flop (6 SB), a bet each on the turn (6 SB), and a bet from two of them on the river (4 SB). That adds up to 29.5 SB. Since you're about 8:1 to flop a set, you're very close to making money on a conservative estimate.

I think I would fling my chips in there and see what happens. I guess I might do that with any pair based on these numbers and would certainly do it if someone else saw the flop (+3 SB minimum if it's BB).