Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 AM

Default I knew it...eventually a machine would take my job

I think I speak for all of you guys and girls out there when I say that this is a pretty sad day for those of us who make a living playing SNGs. There's now a bot playing on Party Poker that uses a simple all-in or fold algorithm and is winning at the $20+2 level. Sure, anyone who knows how the bot works can beat the crap out of it, but it's unlikely that the 10,000,000 fish on Party Poker (the same predictable ones who routinely give us their money) will ever notice the bot, nor care about it, let alone be smart enough to min-raise its big blind. It's ROI is probably not much higher than that of an average intelligent monkey playing at Party $20+2, but that's still greater than 0, and it's just a freakin' robot that takes 0 human energy to run.

By my rough calculations, a couple hours of my work 4-tabling $20+2 would be equivalent to about 24 hours worth of the bot working. That means I have to waste 2 hours a day just to make as much money as a robot. I don't think I can handle the emotional stress that this implication brings. In fact, my hands are shaking right now as I type this, and tears are beginning to cloud my vision.

We've already seen jobs like sewing and manufacturing being taken away by robots, and now this. Sucks. I'm going to bed now. I'll be sleeping for 7-8 hours, while some computer programmer's tight/aggressive robot will be doing my job, collecting money from Party Fish. Today, it's just a simple bot that isn't that good at making money. But who knows? If a computer can be programmed to play better chess than the best player in the world, eventually there will be a bot made that can 4-table and have a %50 ROI at the lower limits. Because I'll be the first to admit, my play at these limits is purely formulaic and robotic. It's more like data processing than poker. Oh well, I really do have to sleep now, good night.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: I knew it...eventually a machine would take my job

1) How come you are so sure there is a bot on party poker?

2) Why don't you report it to investigations team?

3) If you can beat the bot, why do you mind at all? are you jealous? Wouldn't you prefer to be a movie star instead of a bot playing on party poker?

Give us a break.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:10 AM

I think we're all pretty sure now

I don't think anyone is 100% sure and it's fascinating.

3) If you can beat the bot, why do you mind at all? are you jealous? Wouldn't you prefer to be a movie star instead of a bot playing on party poker?

If it's winning, it's eating our fish.

Lori
Old 02-26-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think we're all pretty sure now

I don't think anyone is 100% sure and it's fascinating.

If it's winning, it's eating our fish.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answers to 1) and 2) are contradictory.
Party poker should be worried much more than anyone else. They don't need to be 100% sure to investigate.

As for 3) - Party poker fish, or any other fish in the sea are not "our" fish to begin with. But in the worst case, you will still have the bot fish. Don't worry, be happy. Just make the correct play.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:26 AM

Your answers to 1) and 2) are contradictory.

Not really, I'm 75% sure.

The bot is, thankfully very beatable, but it's still going to scare an awful lot of players (or should that be a lot of awful players)

I would report this, but I suspect we'd never know for sure if it just went missing, and I'd like to know for sure.

Lori
Old 02-26-2005, 08:50 AM

Don't worry about bots, just focus on being better than any bot.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:03 AM

1) I'm quite certain this isn't new. It's probably just the most obvious bot out there right now.

2) Get used to it. The Party structure is a preflop game, and the preflop game is very beatable "by the numbers." Party is not going to change their structure unless this becomes an epidemic, because it makes them a lot of money.

3) If someone wants to write a long-lived bot, they are going to have to do a better job than this guy, because it's got the biggest bot tells you could imagine, starting with the binary strategy of preflop all-in/fold, and continuing on to very obvious timing tells. You almost couldn't write a more obvious bot. It took one game for me to strongly suspect it was a bot, and two to be certain that's either a bot, or a person trying to act like a bot, and doing a very, very good job at it.

4) Party screwed up royally some months ago on their countermeasures for this. I'm not getting into specifics, but they could make this _much_ harder to do with a simple client change. Of course, this barrier could eventually be overcome by the determined.

eastbay
Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 AM

Am i the only one who is disgusted by this?

I couldnt care if the bot was successful or not they should not be in our poker rooms. Poker is a game for people not machines.

Why dont people start a list of the names of supposed bots so the others can watch out for them. Then when enough people have witnessed the bots confront the poker support staff with a more assertive argument.

I just think this is plain wrong and should be stopped.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:55 AM

how wide a range / what are the hands that it will push with preflop?

is it a simple issue of pushing with any group I hand and folding everything else?

i'm currently watching it play a $20 sng, and it hasnt played a hand yet...i'll update when i see something
Old 02-26-2005, 11:13 AM

and wouldnt the bot start getting the [censored] beat out of it once the game went to 50-100 and was 5 handed or less?