Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Starting Hand Requirements

I am quite a tight player... I am pretty aggressive too, I tend to win pots often I dont lose too many because (what seems to be a mistake from what i have been reading) I wont go to a showdown unless I know I am going to win. but thats a different story. my question to you guys is, based on your position, what sort of starting hand requirements do you suggest, I dont like playing certain cards out of position... I tend to follow something similar to slansky requirements my bud sent me, I cant really show you the sheet, since I am at work. Basically, I dont like calling much, if I cant raise a hand, I probably wont call, i.e small suited connectors UTG, seems a lot of ppl call this type of stuff, but it just doesnt seem profitable to me, what sort or requirements do you guys run by? I dont have many hand histories, since I dont exactly know how to use this forum, I nkow this is kinda general, but hopefully you get the general idea of what I am asknig.. if you need more specifics, just ask.. I coudl probably answer. (btw, try to stay away from abbreviations lol, still learning them all )
Old 06-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Starting Hand Requirements

You need to spring for a good starting poker book and go from there. You can get lots of recommendations in the "Books" forum.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:07 PM

ive read a bunch..thats why i dont play KQo UTG but raise with it on the button lol
Old 06-21-2005, 02:09 PM

PM me with your email address. I have a starting hand chart that I got out of a great beginner's poker book that helps me out big time.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Okay, well, everybody here is going to be more or less following whatever starting chart you've read. I mean, there are some touchy issues here and there (many of us would raise KQo UTG, for instance, and there's always the fun debate over how to handle hands like AJo and KJs in EP), but aside from a few minor points most decent starting hand charts are pretty similar and the points where they differ tend to be minor.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Just troll the forums to see what people are opening with, and what are considered "standard PF raises". For example, KQo and AJo are raises UTG, FWIW.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am quite a tight player... I am pretty aggressive too, I tend to win pots often I dont lose too many because (what seems to be a mistake from what i have been reading) I wont go to a showdown unless I know I am going to win. but thats a different story. my question to you guys is, based on your position, what sort of starting hand requirements do you suggest, I dont like playing certain cards out of position... I tend to follow something similar to slansky requirements my bud sent me, I cant really show you the sheet, since I am at work. Basically, I dont like calling much, if I cant raise a hand, I probably wont call, i.e small suited connectors UTG, seems a lot of ppl call this type of stuff, but it just doesnt seem profitable to me, what sort or requirements do you guys run by? I dont have many hand histories, since I dont exactly know how to use this forum, I nkow this is kinda general, but hopefully you get the general idea of what I am asknig.. if you need more specifics, just ask.. I coudl probably answer. (btw, try to stay away from abbreviations lol, still learning them all )

[/ QUOTE ]

regarding going to showdown, remember this is limit holdem, you are always getting 2to1 or better odds on anycall

so if the pot is 10BB(counting the riverbet) and you win 25% of the time .. folding is a 1.5BB mistake which is a huge mistake