Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: logic flawed? NL limp or raise

It depends on how the table you are playing at is playing.
If people have been folding to your aggression, then raising pre flop with AJ to etiher win the pot right there or get into a heads up with one of the limpers is a good move in my book.
Unless they are deceptive players you stand a high chance of having best hand over the limpers pre flop.

If your AJ is raised it depends on who is doing the raising.
If it's a LAG that is in many hands then you have to decide whether to call or reraise based on what hands you have seen him playing and his reaction to being reraised. If you have seen that play made on him.
If you get a raise and reraise back at you then I'd consider laying it down unless it is a a pair of LAG's that are playing anything trying to steal pots.
But, usually a reraise of a raise with the original raiser still to act indicates strength and you woulkd seriously want to consider laying the hand down unless the odds are too tempting.

I wouldn't raise pre flop with suited connectors unless I thought I could win the pot right then.
I'd rather limp with them since they are a speculative hand.
If you want to occaisonally rasie with them to keep people from getting a good read on your play I don't think that's a bad idea.
The only problem with that is you have to get to va situation where you can show them to let people know you will raise with that type of hand.
If you do it and have to muck them yuo really aren't advertising what you just did.
I'm, not a fan of the 78s or 98s etc. can stand a raise pre flop theory unless the odds or implied are good.

But, Im speaking from a NL persepective not limit.