Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Kings-up ok here? Tournament hand

Villain had been playing somewhat solid, I can't get away on 5th can I? I think calldown standard on 6th and river.
Tournament - 7 Card Stud High - Level VII (200/400), Ante 25, Bring-In 50 (converter)

Seat 1: 1,323
Hero: 3,324
Seat 3: 8,899
Seat 4: 4,842
Seat 6: 7,214
Seat 7: 10,558
Seat 8: 4,936

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.13 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (2.56 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises

6th Street - (6.56 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.56 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (10.56 BB)
Old 11-24-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Kings-up ok here? Tournament hand

You look like a pretty short stack here so i think I gamble here and take it all the way to the river and hope you get some more breathing room with a win. I do think there is a good chance you're behind here though, but i still play it the same way you did.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:41 AM

If you're really sure of your customer, you might fold sixth, but you'd be crippled, so even there, I might pay it off in the hopes that he's screwing around. I don't think there's much you can do about this one.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 AM

But he knows you are going to call him down, and he knows you have at least tens up, probably kings up. I would fold sixth here. In a tournament, I might be inclined to check behind on fifth street here fearing that he is slowplaying aces. Although with the dead ace I might go ahead and keep betting like you did. The thing is, you have to be more conservative in tournaments and push small edges less than you would in a cash game. Sklansky's book Tournament Poker for Advanced Players gives some great insight.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:54 PM

I think check/folding on 5th is incredibly weak here. I'd expect most opponents to either raise this on 3rd, or bet out when high on 4th. Checkraising on 5th is a pretty weird play to me, and I wouldn't expect trapping like this in a $20 tournament.

Results: He had buried Kings and lost with Kings over 5s.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:58 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I never suggested check/folding 5th. He is first to act and checked. I suggested considering checking behind. After that, unless the boards change drastically (they did, you paired your board), you will call if he bets and bet if he checks. Notice that this saves you two bets when you are losing to aces and he checkraises you.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:00 PM

Also, checkraising aces on 5th there is not a weird play. In fact, it's a pretty good play because of the dead ace. It is much more strange that he played pocket kings the way he did.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:29 AM

In a live game,I would bet 5th without thinking about it.In the tournament,Blumpkin's play of checking behind with this stack situation is excellent imo.I have to admit that I would not have thought about it.