Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM

Default please help interpret Villain\'s raise

early 2nd hour of PP 20NLH tourney

I've been at the table with Villain for about 3 orbits, he's only played one hand in which a bigstack raised 3BB's from EP and Villain pushed for 12BBs with A9s. An orbit or so later Hero's in MP with TT:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Posn Stack Preflop Action
(BB’s)
UTG 7 fold
Villain 13 Raise to 6BB
5 fold
15 fold
40 fold
Hero 8
SB 23
BB 27

</pre><hr />

What do you make of Villain's 6BB raise from EP when he only has a 13BB stack? What range would you put him on?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: please help interpret Villain\'s raise

I would say he may have a medium pocket pair and is hoping both blinds fold so he can move all-in on the flop in a stop and go type action. He is obviously committed to see the flop though. The other alternative is that he has a really high pair and is trying to sucker someone into putting him all-in. Either way I would call only with a pretty premium hand
Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: please help interpret Villain\'s raise

whoops I just noticed you have TT. Hmm I think its about a 50-50 whether to go all-in or not. I probably would because you don't have much time left to pick up a better hand. You're either way ahead or way behind in my opinion. Of course you could be coinflipping, but I think he would have raised a little less with AK/AQ to leave him some wriggle room on the flop