Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Third Street
Clarkmeister 123 78.85%
Schneids 33 21.15%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Will this year\'s ME have more entrants than next year?

The only reason I see it shrinking next year is if they raise the buy-in.

I really, really think they should do this BTW. The ME buy-in hasn't moved an inch in 36 years. Harrah's probably doesn't want to do this because they don't want to see a drop in entrants, but it's pretty difficult to maintain the spot as "prestige" tourney of the year when the buy-in is less than half that of the WPT season final - hell, even the PP million is going to have a bigger buy-in next year.
Uping the ME to 25k would thin the field a bit, make the tourney more manageble for Harrahs, and maybe allow them to get away from the multi-first day format.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:05 AM

I agree with DetroitPlayer's assessment.

Lots of frustrated individuals who have dropped a ton on some of the satellites and $2k type events who I suspect might not return because they are getting their ass kicked to the tune of $10k or more via some awful bad-beats and what-not.

I could be wrong though.

Also - if they sell-out this year then I definitely don't think will get more because I think the cap will be the same.

They don't have room for more than 2200 players on their day 1's unless they go to multiple rooms (or a big arena or something).
And I don't think they want to do more than 3 day 1's either.

To have more than 6600 players next year they would actually have to allow and be able to accomodate them.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's plenty of fish out there. And I think more and more people will continue to start playing socially. But I think this is the big year as far as people dropping $10,000 to play in the ME.

Every dead money player who doesn't cash will probably go home and tell every one they know, not only keeping the original dead money player out, but all of the dead money player's friends who may have had it in the back of their mind may be getting talked out of it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous Detroitplayer.

As long as they keep the entry at $10k, it will always be higher.

The only way it'll be lower is if they start raising the entry fee.

$10k was $100k in inflation adjusted to the old timers who played back in the 70s.

5 years from now, $10k will be even more chump change than it is today.