Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: 30/60 yearly income

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EV (for the year) on cash game players is 7 figures. 5-25 in the whole online community is not a big number, but then again, who am I to come up with that number?

I know in my games I would guess 2-10 guys can do it, and I'm pulling a number out of thin air for the rest - the top 1-2 MTT players, the top 2-8 NL ring game players, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Are you saying there are only 5-25 online players that make 100K or more a year from online poker?

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe 7 figures equates to 1 million +
Old 08-20-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EV (for the year) on cash game players is 7 figures. 5-25 in the whole online community is not a big number, but then again, who am I to come up with that number?

I know in my games I would guess 2-10 guys can do it, and I'm pulling a number out of thin air for the rest - the top 1-2 MTT players, the top 2-8 NL ring game players, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Are you saying there are only 5-25 online players that make 100K or more a year from online poker?

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe 7 figures equates to 1 million +

[/ QUOTE ]

man its early. and I drank too much last night.

-Scott
Old 08-20-2005, 10:42 AM

At what point does it become impossible to multitable and win. I'm 4 tabling 1/2 right now and basically play ABC vs the fish, but from what I've seen watching the higher games (5/10 and up)I really couldnt see myself able to win at these tables by just playing ABC. Are the players at these levels really that bad? Dont you need to start getting more table reads? My goal is to 8 table 2/4, but is it really possible to go higher than this? How do you people do it? 30/60, that just sounds crazy!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I dont think my #'s are off, nightwish. My post merely said that assuming those #'s, you can expect around a mill, or 1.5 mill even, as I was corrected.

So 8 tables 40 hrs/week is hell, apparently (i wouldnt know). But 20 hrs is tolerable? If 40 is really that miserable and hellish, it seems 20 or more would be almost that bad. With 168 hrs in a week, 20 v. 40 really doesnt seem to be such an amazing difference, especially if it means double your income. I'd gladly go through that 40 hr a week hell, if I was one of those lucky few who could be reasonably confident of making a cool mill. Gotta beat slaving away at a large corporate law firm 80+ hrs a week for just about 100k after taxes, which is the path im headed on now. Come on, fellas. Slave away for a year or two online, put away enough to invest safely for the rest of your life, and your just about set. Man, if this is true, one of you super pros needs to take me under his wing. Id gladly pay any of you 1 or 2 hundred k a year, if you could make my ev anywhere near 1 mill a year.

So if noone (or a very slim few) is making this in limit online, how many are approaching that '20 hr' rate of somewhere between 500k and 750k.

How many of you 2 + 2 ers are making that? I want to know whose posts to read! Really just kind of curious how many 'good' 1 1/2 bb/100 4 to 8 tabling 30/60 pros really exist, who maintain that rate over the course of a year. Say with at least 15 hours a week.

Any more thoughts? Enjoyed the first batch of posts.

"If I had a million dollars, I would sit at home all day, and I would do nothing."

But "the question is bullshit to begin with,..." (cant remember the rest!)
Old 08-20-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But 20 hrs is tolerable? If 40 is really that miserable and hellish, it seems 20 or more would be almost that bad. With 168 hrs in a week, 20 v. 40 really doesnt seem to be such an amazing difference, especially if it means double your income. I'd gladly go through that 40 hr a week hell, if I was one of those lucky few who could be reasonably confident of making a cool mill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its easy to say this but when you actually play full time its really not that easy. I think 20-25 hours is definitely more the norm for most multi tabling pro's playing 30-60.

The funny thing is, I probably play about the same number hands now after a year+ playing full time than I did when I had a "real job" and just played nights. I'm certainly content with this, I couldn't imagine grinding out 40 hours a week multi-tabling on Party. Now if you wanna talk about 40 hours a week playing my new addiction 2-7 triple draw, thats a whole different story [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-ActionBob
Old 08-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Eeehhhh, thats sounds very little. I would say that Nr could be just Sweden...
Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 PM

This has been an interesting thread to read. I have a question which is kind of related to it. For the very few players who can 8 table party 30/60 and win at around 1.5BB/100 how much of a decline in your win rate do you suffer by adding each table? In other words if you were to just play one table what would your BB/100 be likely to be. Presumably it would be higher than 1.5BB/100 but also presumably there can not be a huge decline because otherwise people would not bother 8 tabling. I'm thinking a one table rate might be about 2.5 to 3 BB/100.

Secondly, does a reasonable player who can win at around 1.5 BB/100 at party 30/60 playing just one table at a time, have an advantage over an 8 table playing opponent. Even though the 1 table player is no where near as good as the eight table player, does the fact that the one table player is only concentrating at one table negate the edge that the 8 tabler has over him.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though the 1 table player is no where near as good as the eight table player

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's an incorrect assumption.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:03 PM

People have mentioned that 40hrs of 8-tabling is pretty tiring. However, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the other big factor. I have yet to meet someone who is good enough to make 80k/month at poker who does not end up moving to higher stakes.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People have mentioned that 40hrs of 8-tabling is pretty tiring. However, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the other big factor. I have yet to meet someone who is good enough to make 80k/month at poker who does not end up moving to higher stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that easy to do? Game selection is limited (8 tabling?), variance is much higher, and you run the risk of having bad things happen, like losing months... yucky.

Otherwise, your point is a good one, I just think someone who could mentally handle playing that many tables for that many hours really might not want to pass up a "guaranteed" $80k, with the exception of probably adding a few of the higher Party tables in to the multitable mix.

Nigel