Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2004, 04:44 PM

Default push on the turn?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

UTG (t745)
UTG+1 (t790)
MP1 (t75)
MP2 (t665)
Hero (t1935)
CO (t710)
Button (t910)
SB (t735)
BB (t1435)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t15, CO folds, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t150</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t250.

Turn: (t875) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t875) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t350</font>, Hero calls t350.

Final Pot: t1575
Old 12-30-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: push on the turn?

I'd probably fold PF this early in a SnG, its not worth getting into trouble, but I expect that ATs is profitable here for some players.

What stakes are you playing? The rest assumes that you are playing stakes where you can assume not complete loons.

When the BB raises twice the pot, something funny is going on. He is either crap and trying to push you off his draw, or maybe he is massively over protecting a two-pair?

Once he calls your raise on the flop I would not bet again. He could be on quite a few hands, straight draws, flush draws, two pair.

I would say you are in a real mess by the river, hard to know what to do.

Just some thoughts, from a rather out of touch player.

Tim
Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM

Didn't realize the converter didn't put the stakes. This is a Party $10/+$1 NL SNG.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM

If you play this hand you have to, and I do mean have to, know when to fold it.

The flop is a good place to start.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:06 PM

I'm not sure what the buy in here is, but this really smells like a poor player with a Q 10. Plus with the big blind he could have 23, hell 10 6 for that matter. When he checks the turn it really smells like some sort of a trap.

If you push the turn you could really see a call with a better hand. Then your just hoping.

At this blind level, I might fold to that river bet. You have what really looks like a second best hand. You still have a good stack, that will be great for blind stealing in a level or two. Might just be I'm too tight weak [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2004, 05:06 PM

OK. What do you do here preflop with AJs?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:23 PM

I limp. I'll also limp AQo-ATo, KQo, and on or anywhere near the button I'll throw in KJ, QJ and various other Broadway trash along with various suited trash.

All of these are break even, marginally profitable or very profitable hands for me in the first few levels, largely because I very rarely let those pots get too large. Getting bet into for twice the pot by a big stack is one of those times where the pot gets too large really quickly.

(Obvious exception: You need to look at the previous hand histories and figure out where his extra chips came from. If he's a huge LAG, reraising's better.)
Old 12-30-2004, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is a good place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

With top pair top kicker and a backdoor flush draw? I'm not real sure I would re-raise. But I might call and see if the turn brings a spade. Now on the river I might think twice about calling that big of a bet, but I would have only wasted a small portion of my stack to see if I could catch a hand that could bust what looks like a very loose player.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With top pair top kicker and a backdoor flush draw? I'm not real sure I would re-raise. But I might call and see if the turn brings a spade.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got bet into for twice the pot. You call. Okay, the turn is a 2 of spades. Now you're facing another pot sized bet, which, by now, is about 400. Do you call? How about if he goes all in?

This is the best way to lose a lot of chips.

PS: The river is the one street you have to call because while it's sort of a 'please call me' bet it's also just barely small enough to come from a busted draw or a weaker T/AT. Of course, you really shouldn't be there in the first place.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:45 PM

Okay, if you get bet at twice like that twice the flop and then a flop size bet, when you have TPTK, what do you put the BB on?

Seems to me like a maniac that has nothing. A 10+1 fish will not bet something that could beat you that hard. At least not in my mind. This could be why my 10+1 ROI is the lowest of the 4 buy-ins I play. (and I've played 1 11 in the last three months and that was just to blow off some steam)