Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

I don't think you are crazy, but I'm sure the claims of this book are overblown.

If this stuff happens, it will not happen as fast as the authors predict and by that time, mother nature will find another way to kill us off.

These predictions are almost always wrong. I remember reading an article about 12 years ago that said that in 10 years baldiness would be cured. I'm still waiting for that and for my flying car.

By all means take care of yourself to increase the quality of your life now and in your old age, that only makes sense.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a Scientologist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to think of myself as a pediatric gynecologist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two thumbs down.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 5,000 year quote was not said by the authors, nor did I defend the validity of that number. In fact, I referred to it as crazy in my blog.

[ QUOTE ]
it looks like the books authors are either delusional, or they did chose to hype the [censored] out of some basic health advice to get 10 minutes of attention. im reading some other reviews on other sites and none of their advice is revolutionary or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying it's off the wall bonkers, and then you go to say that none of the ideas in the book are revolutionary? Those criticisms can't coexist.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, thats obviously not what im saying. im saying their health advice doesnt look revolutionary, but their predictions about the future are bonkers. do you understand the distinction?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, thats obviously not what im saying. im saying their health advice doesnt look revolutionary, but their predictions about the future are bonkers. do you understand the distinction?

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you V. These kind of books and philosophies pray on unstable, ignorant patronage (not saying ZJ is one of them, just that's there market). This stuff is just another morph of a billion crazy ass bastards from many years past.

I believe that most people that really put thought into it will say that they have absolutely no desire to live to...ummm...what was it...5000 years old?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 AM

you look too cool to be talking about eating healthy.

next time just say "live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse".

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Living past 120 years by just changing your diet *is* absurd. Living longer in general obviously isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you got the number 120 from, but adding 20 years to your lifespan by living a healthier life is most certainly not absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That I would agree with. Yeah, I know, someone will post about their 90 year old grandfather who drank every day and smoked 2 packs of Chesterfields, but that is not the norm. The big problem is not just diet, but stress, and environment/water. These are things that we don't know the long term effects over yet.

But, by eating healthy you increase your chances of living longer. I don't even think that is debatable. But, there are a lot outside factors that are beyond our control. I also don't think "quantity" of life is the most important area to look at as well. By eating healthier, you will probably have a better quality life physically and mentally.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2005, 11:56 AM

I guess it was a mistake to use the 5,000 year quote in my post. Again, I want to stress that quote is not from the authors. In my post, I did not write about any of their predictions. I wrote their intro to bridge 2 and bridge 3 ideas, but as I have already said, most of the stuff they write about these bridges is about technologies that already exist.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These kind of books and philosophies pray on unstable, ignorant patronage

[/ QUOTE ]

Do some research on Ray Kurzweil. He developed the first print to speach reading machine for the blind, designed the Kurzweil keyboard, and had a great number of other contributions to the AI field that already exist.

His past books including the age of intelligent machines have made some bold predictions that have already come true.

You make it sound like this guy is running a paid programming add on comedy central at 4am.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM

You are WAYYYY too bright of a kid for this stuff ZJ.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what I said that was so absurd.

I never said that the human life span will be 5,000 years, nor did I imply that the authors said it. And for the 192431209312th time, the word forever is not meant to be taken literally. It's a catchy title.

What specific concept is so absurd?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, WTF are you talking about? He is too bright to believe that our life expectency is going up and putting healthy things into your body is the foundation to living a longer life?

You sound like an idiot constantly disagreeing with something that you have not done any research on.