Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: players using red at 4/8

I will not play the 6/12 at the Borgata because of the change issue. It slows down the game too much for me (particularly when there are older players. Younger people, like the time I played with jar, do not slow down the game too much). I sometimes go on tilt just waiting for all the change.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:40 AM

I play 4/8 and I hate using $1 chips whatever color they are. They are so annoying to stack up and organize. Cutting out 4 chips or 8 chips for each bet is annoying, espeically on the turn and river when its raised or reraised. Then when you win a pot, it takes forever to organize.

I like using nickels as often as possible. 1 chip or 2 chips, that simple. Let the dealer worry about making change so I can focus on keeping track of pot odds, pot size, pfrs, and all the other things I've got going on in my head during a hand.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM

I am a fan of using bigger chips in games as it makes more sense to me, but using red in 4/8 like that is just absolutely retarded. Unless you have like one stack of red, so you toss one in with 3 whites on the big streets, but constantly having to make change on every street? I'd say that's a good reason not to play 4/8 at the Trop.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played $4/8 at the Bellagio last year and bought chips at the table ($200). The chip runner brought back a rack of blue and a stack of red without even asking. seemed standard to me. If I lose track of how many bets went into the pot I find it easier to estimate with some reds in there than a huge pile of blues.

also it drives me nuts when it takes me a hand or two to get all my chips stacked after I drag a big one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

at Canterbury they let you play with yellows or reds if you're coming in from another game but seems like as soon as they get in the pot the dealer changes 'em out for blues.

my $.02

-Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

What are blue chips worth?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Let's set up an equation:

Let red=$5 chip
Let 1 rack=100 chips

$200-1 stack*red=1 rack*blue
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 4/8 and I hate using $1 chips whatever color they are. They are so annoying to stack up and organize. Cutting out 4 chips or 8 chips for each bet is annoying, espeically on the turn and river when its raised or reraised. Then when you win a pot, it takes forever to organize

[/ QUOTE ]

You should learn to like it. When you move up, many limits, such as 20/40 have a 4 chip/8 chip structure, it just that the chips are red ($5 for you Cali folks). Plus you won't be able to learn the proper way to raise on the turn, which is to push out a stack (you do keep your chips in stacks of 20, don't you) and then just peel 4 chips off the top.

I go the other way, at 20/40, whenever a pot containing a green ($25) chip(s) gets pushed to me, I look to change it to red. A few of the FW regulars automatically throw me the requisite number of red chips when that happens.

How else can you build a proper pyramid?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:05 PM

4 chip/8 chip rules. Stacking a big pot well into the next hand rules. Having a big pyramid rules. Walking away with racks of chips rules. Being able to quickly stack piles of 4 chips rules. Not waiting for change rules.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 PM

How much time do you waste watching someone count out 24 chips when he reraises?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say that's a good reason not to play 4/8 at the Trop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name a game in that limit range in AC that doesn't have a retarded chip structure, and I'll play in it. The Borg 3/6 has similar red chip problems, the 6/12 is a mess, the Taj 5/10 is tighter due to the 1/2 chip structure. (I haven't tried the Taj 5/10 yet, but that's what I've heard.)
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM

If players verbally announce their actions, you don't have to wait for them to count chips.