Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I primarily play.....
NL 47 37.30%
Limit 79 62.70%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Worst city to drive in the northeast US?

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't from Boston, you WILL get lost and it is scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if said person is wearing Yankees paraphenalia. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Boston easily. Ever had the pleasure of driving through the Big Dig sections of town when it was at its worst? I wasn't even driving and I hated it. NY is a breeze compared to Beantown (kills me to say it, but oh well). Never driven in Philly or DC.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:59 PM

I love driving in NYC. The taxis which so many complain about are all my prags.

The only problem is when you are runnning late or need to be somewehre at a definite time and have not planned in enough time for traffic. In you're in a congested area and are stuck bumper to bumper (this is not all the time or even close to that despite what the popular perception is) that SUCKS. Otherwise, I love it, it's a unique experience driving by while the city goes on all around you. Jane Jacobs would approve.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:08 PM

I haven't driven in DC, so I can't speak to that. My surface street driving in NYC has been limited to getting from a bridge/tunnel on one side of Manhattan to a bridge/tunnel on the other. That was dead easy. Merging from 6 lanes into 1 to go through the lincoln tunnel was mildly annoying, but not nearly as bad as a similar situation would be in Boston.

I went to school in Worcester, and we'd all make excuses to get someone else to drive when we went to Boston. If you know exactly where you're going, its not bad. If you don't, you're totally screwed. One time we were going to MIT for the flea, and thought it'd be a snap because we'd gone several times before. This time, however, memorial drive was closed for recreational activity. Trying to get somewhere in Boston when the road you know is closed is nearly impossible.

Driving in Philly is easy. The Schuylkill Expwy can be a mess sometimes, but its no worse than a busy NY Parkway. Surface streets in center city are no problem; I usually don't even have a problem finding somewhere to park.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My Vote goes to Binghamton, NY.

Why - cause it means you are stuck in Binghamton NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to date a girl who went to Cornell. I was going to school in New Jersey at the time, and I didn't have a car on campus so I had to take the bus to visit her in Ithaca.

Twice, the bus company decided there was too much snow to keep driving us, and left everyone on the bus stranded at the Binghampton bus station.

The only thing that sucks more than driving in Binghamton is walking in Binghamton.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to take a bus from NYC to Ithaca for a similar reason, and there was a transfer at Binghamton for the Ithaca bus. Of course, the Binghamton bus makes a "rest stop" 5 minutes before Binghamton, so now I can't get to the transfer station and the bus leaves in like 3 minutes. I called a taxi on my cellphone and he was like 10 minutes late, but fortunately he made up for it by going about 100 mph.

That was sweet.

/hijack. I only have experience driving in NYC and it's not bad but I live there. South of Houston gets kind of hairy though if you're talking about the city. Rectangles are easy, SOHO is not.

Although, going to school in Amherst, I swear to God nobody here can drive.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My Vote goes to Binghamton, NY.

Why - cause it means you are stuck in Binghamton NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to date a girl who went to Cornell. I was going to school in New Jersey at the time, and I didn't have a car on campus so I had to take the bus to visit her in Ithaca.

Twice, the bus company decided there was too much snow to keep driving us, and left everyone on the bus stranded at the Binghampton bus station.

The only thing that sucks more than driving in Binghamton is walking in Binghamton.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to take a bus from NYC to Ithaca for a similar reason, and there was a transfer at Binghamton for the Ithaca bus. Of course, the Binghamton bus makes a "rest stop" 5 minutes before Binghamton, so now I can't get to the transfer station and the bus leaves in like 3 minutes. I called a taxi on my cellphone and he was like 10 minutes late, but fortunately he made up for it by going about 100 mph.

That was sweet.

/hijack. I only have experience driving in NYC and it's not bad but I live there. South of Houston gets kind of hairy though if you're talking about the city. Rectangles are easy, SOHO is not.

Although, going to school in Amherst, I swear to God nobody here can drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Binghamton cabbies, all 3 of them or whatever, were charging $100 a head to take them back to Cornell the second time I got stuck.

scrub