Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Is my play ok?

Greetings everyone. I'm new here and I would like to discuss about some hands that really bother me. I have been playing poker for some three months or so and I'm really up to learning new stuff. I am currently reading The Theory of Poker and Hold em Poker For Advanced Players (btw very good books).

So, I am bothered about my flop/turn play. Do I fold too much middle pairs on flop? If I don't catch trips I usually fold if someone raises, especially if it is a preflop raiser and board has some big cards. I think these few hands will do the trick.
Ok, so I was playing 10 handed $0.1/$0.2 fixed limit game.

I'm on the big blind [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9
bb+1 calls
bb+2 raises
5 folds
button raises
sb folds
I call
bb+1 folds
bb+2 calls
Flop comes: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A
I check
bb+2 bets
button raises
I fold and they cap.
Turn is [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 . So, was I supposed to throw my hand away? Was it correct play?

And here goes another one:
I'm on the sb [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3

bb+1 calls
2 folds
bb+4 calls
2 folds
bb+7 calls
button calls
I call.
bb checks
Flop comes: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q
I check
bb checks, bb+1 checks
bb+4 bets
bb+7 calls
button calls
I fold
2 folds
River: [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q

Was I supposed to look at the river? I think I misplayed here big time.

All help will be appreciated! Sorry for the crappy output, I didn't find a prima hand history converter [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Testaaja
Old 06-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Is my play ok?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the big blind [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9
bb+1 calls
bb+2 raises
5 folds
button raises
sb folds
I call
bb+1 folds
bb+2 calls
Flop comes: [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A
I check
bb+2 bets
button raises
I fold and they cap.
Turn is [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 . So, was I supposed to throw my hand away? Was it correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, folding here is absurd. You should 3-bet since you're going to make a set on the turn.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:21 PM

Hand 1: Fold PF. Then fold the flop when its two bets to you.

Hand 2: I really hate this fold. Either lead off or check-raise the flop bet. Folding top pair for one bet on the flop is awful.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Hey, welcome to the forums. Hand one looks fine. Yes, you should definitely fold on that flop.

Hand 2 I would usually lead out on that flop, but since you didn't you should definitely call. You've got top pair with a weak kicker getting 9:1 so you've gotta keep going. There are a lot of ways that you could improve to the best hand or at least a split.

The books you mentioned are good, but Small Stakes Hold 'Em (also a 2+2 book) is generally considered the best one for starting out. If you haven't read it yet, I'd definitely recommend it.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 PM

First hand looks fine. Someone has a higher pair on this flop about 100% of the time. Keep in mind that the turn being a 9 doesn't make the flop fold any better or worse.

In hand 2 your flop line is bad. You probably have the best hand and the pot is of reasonable size. You should bet out, or since there are so many players you could check hoping to raise a late position bet. The correct play depends on the table and your reads but whatever you do don't check/fold.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Fold PF. Then fold the flop when its two bets to you.

Hand 2: I really hate this fold. Either lead off or check-raise the flop bet. Folding top pair for one bet on the flop is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, thank you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. So I thought I played bad and I did [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everybody calls Button's 3-bet and nobody caps (most likely scenario) then Hero will be getting about 5-1 on his call. Also, lots of action can be expected if he flops a set. I think it's a fairly easy call.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Nice thanks to everyone! I will get the small stakes hold em and I will remember these hands so I could do the right decisions next time. If someone has something to add, I'm still information hungry [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 06-09-2005, 03:46 PM

My take on this:

Hand 1 There are 7.5 small bets in the pot, the small blind, the big blind the early position call, 2 from the first raise and 3 from the second raise. You need to call 2 bets in order to stay, so your pot odds are reduced to a bit more tha 3.5 to 1. Your implied odds are bad as well, i.e. you are only going to have 2 opponents and you will be facing bets, and maybe raises on every street. In addition, the other 2 people in the pot have both already indicated that they have strong hands, so you will probably need to improve, and you may still lose if you do. Definitley a clear fold pre-flop, and again on the flop.

second hand
A check/raise seems to be best here. The bettor may be betting a flush draw, or a smaller pair. You have top pair with a bad kicker so you need to protect your hand. By checking and then raising, you get some weaker hands and draws to fold, or at least make a mistake if they call, and you get a better idea what the original bettor has.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your implied odds are bad as well, i.e. you are only going to have 2 opponents and you will be facing bets, and maybe raises on every street.In addition, the other 2 people in the pot have both already indicated that they have strong hands, so you will probably need to improve

[/ QUOTE ]

The implied odds aren't bad because there are likely to be multiple bets and raises, they are good for these reasons. We already know there are big hands out there, but this is good because it means they'll be willing to put in a lot of bets if we hit a set.