Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Mini-raisers!

This hand really bothered me after the game. It was the FIRST of a string of mini-raises by this guy. Had he mini-raised previously, I would have pushed.

I usually respond to button mini-raisers with aggression, but here I froze up knowing that he would be correct to call with anything.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1840)
CO (t2175)
Button (t1740)
Hero (t810)
BB (t1435)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises t300</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>
Old 12-30-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Mini-raisers!

Min raises are annoying. I got flustered by this one.

I think I fold here too as it is the first time he's done it. I might spite re-raise from big blind though, but I think I'm on metatilt right now, so I wouldn't trust my judgment...
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 PM

stop n go [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM

Actually, id have stop and goed here too.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Do you think BB will fold getting 5:1 on a chance to increase his stack by, at least, 75%?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand really bothered me after the game. It was the FIRST of a string of mini-raises by this guy. Had he mini-raised previously, I would have pushed.

I usually respond to button mini-raisers with aggression, but here I froze up knowing that he would be correct to call with anything.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1840)
CO (t2175)
Button (t1740)
Hero (t810)
BB (t1435)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises t300</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO pulling the trigger right here is one of the hardest things to do while multi-tabling.

When he does it for the first time, and I don't really have any other info to go on because I havn't been able to watch his play enough,I find myself folding more than I should here.

Today, I've decided to error on the other side and see how it goes.

Min-raisers Beware!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 06:24 PM

Given what you know now? Easy push.

But I probably wouldn't have pushed here either if it was the guy's first mini-raise.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:46 PM

How has this guy played to this point? Usually when someone min raises in a situation like this it means they don't have a good understanding of how to play SNGs. They think, "Oh it folded to me, I'm supposed to try to steal" and min raise. Yeah, he's correct to call a push, but a lot of the time will fold it anyway. In spots like this, pushing is the rule rather than the exception for me, and I make a note of this hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 PM

I push when the button or sb minraises my BB as a default as well as long as my table image is non-maniac. However, I've gotten trapped this way more than a few times when they realize I will push about 50% of the time when the blinds get serious. So, is pushing over the top of a minraise exploitable? What about calling an SBs minraise? This seems to set me up many times for a stop-and-go which I can't call. Basically, I don't really know what to do with a constant minraiser. Maybe I should start using it....
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Just looking at the stacks, the blinds, and the extra 150 in the bb, I don't think you can fold here. I wouldn't call though. I think you need to gamble. hmmmmm you might have some Preflop FE too, it's close.